Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
I feel like I'm on this endless track that continues and continues like a carnival ride...no way to escape. Everyday, I wake up at the same time, have the same thing for breakfest, be late for school, have the same classes, learn the same things I already know, see the same people, have the same conversations with them, come home and nap, read MR, eat dinner, procrastinate school work because what's the point, go to bed around two, and repeat. I'm trapped. I need to escape. I feel like I'm just being led on this track, and there's no way to escape. Does anyone else feel like each day is the same as yesterday?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I got it! You change your hair every day!

My days are sometimes the same but usually not. I can make them interesting.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
...like occasionally using System 7 instead of OS X??? :)

I'm not sure what I could change about my day. At school, everything, everybody is unintersting-- I can't relate to them (not that I'm that emo kid in the corner playing the victim and crying--- I can actually get along with people, I just can't be interested by them), I already know what I'm learning, so there's no point in really trying, I just don't know what I could change. The only real place I can escape is after school, but I'm so tired from the night before that I just nap.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
School, sleep, school, work, sleep, school, sleep, school, work, sleep... repeat.

I completely know where you're coming from. Take a day off and go see a movie at 2 in the afternoon! Have a picnic with friends in the park! Do something out of the norm,and it'll feel so good... Impromptu roadtrip time? :):):D

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Maybe that's it...last year I spent 16.5 days off from schooll...most of them vacations. This year, I've taken maybe five days off, and only two of them were vacations. I have a retreat this weekend with my class, but, luckily, I high-tail it out of here for Cancun!

Hopefully things will be better because I'll probably be travelling a lot again now. Still, it's just this endless track...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If you think school is an endless merry-go-round, just wait until you start working every day.

It's in the nature of the young to be bored with life and other people. We've all been there. As you get older it will gradually dawn on you that life is the only game in town, and also that it's not the obligation of other people amuse you or make your life interesting and meaningful. That's entirely up to you.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
**snip**.

and in other uplifting news, life sucks and then you die. :eek:

just kidding :) IJ is right tho. if you are lucky, you will have a job that pays well enough for you to live a comfortable lifestyle. if you are very lucky, you will love that job. if you are incredibly lucky, you will have someone you love to go home to at night on top of all of it.

welcome to life™

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I think I kind of know how you feel, but I'm in the last 2 months of my schooling. The days are dragging by... But this isn't about me :)

Do you have any hobbies? When I felt like that in high school, I'd go off on a photography expedition. If you live in "suburbia", it is a little more difficult to find meaningful things to do. All there seems to be is TV and video games. I've tried both and neither fill the void. At least in towns, cities and countryside, there is a little more to do to fight boredom. Studies have also shown volunteering will help aid in a person's happiness. Doing things for others has the benefit of not only making someone else's day better, but yours as well.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Yep, my schedule as follows:

Wake up
Barely catch the bus
Reading class
Band
Math
science
american history
spanish
Physical education
Cooking class
take the bus home
read MR and MF
eat
go to bed

repeat.

It may be a somewhat busy schedule, but it is monotonous.

I like old computers. an iMac G3 with OS 8 is a godsend for me (which I have)
It's nice to use something different. If some website or program doesn't work on itm I try my hardest to get it to work, for fun and a challenge. and MR is always here to help. :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
imz,

be ready...unless you find a dynamic job you love, it doesn't change.

my life is a virtual routine. i look after my kids and run a biz from home and days are very much the same. i do my best to change it up.

heck, i'll be downright full of attitude and not do the dishes.

THAT messes things up :)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
...like occasionally using System 7 instead of OS X??? :)

I'm not sure what I could change about my day. At school, everything, everybody is unintersting-- I can't relate to them (not that I'm that emo kid in the corner playing the victim and crying--- I can actually get along with people, I just can't be interested by them), I already know what I'm learning, so there's no point in really trying, I just don't know what I could change. The only real place I can escape is after school, but I'm so tired from the night before that I just nap.

I'm at university, and I have the same problem. I keep in touch with my friends back home (who are basically family) and it keeps me sane until the weekends when I can run home. Not healthy, but I'm never bored..

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I feel like I'm on this endless track that continues and continues like a carnival ride...no way to escape. Everyday, I wake up at the same time, have the same thing for breakfest, be late for school, have the same classes, learn the same things I already know, see the same people, have the same conversations with them, come home and nap, read MR, eat dinner, procrastinate school work because what's the point, go to bed around two, and repeat. I'm trapped. I need to escape. I feel like I'm just being led on this track, and there's no way to escape. Does anyone else feel like each day is the same as yesterday?

Yup. I got that but things will change when i move into my new place. :D I can stick it out for a few more months. Just!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
it sounds like you are having other issues of just being bored like maybe a mild depression sinking in. Trick is finding something to break your routine. That be maybe go play Lazier tag at random with your friends (sorry something I did back in HS every now and then). Go do something random with some friends. Hell you could make it the same time every week for all that matter because it be something different each time.

It is HS. HS well rather dull in my opining but maybe you need some extracurricular activities. For me that was band and it was something that had random things though out the year break it up. Still routine after a while. College I think would offer you at least some type of break to where what you teachers are teaching you in class you are just struggling to even make heads or tails of it.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
you are not trapped, you just feel like it.

So do something outside the norm. Skip the nap, be tired for a day and go someplace you have never been.

Could be a local bar, a church meeting, a tourist trap place, a desolate park, whatever.

Realize that much of your life will have some routine to it. The trick is to make it routine stuff you like to do.

I get up, drink coffee, play with my kid, go to work, go to bed, repeat.

Weekends I get to do some different stuff, but that is how I spend lots of my time.

On the other hand, I love playing with my kid, and my job is not hateful. Plus it pays for all the stuff I do on the weekends.

Or try tequila :D

Oh, missed the high school thing, thought it was college.
Ok, skip the Tequila. Learn to ride a motorcycle

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Perhaps the best thing you can do is realise how lucky you are to be going to school in the first place? You could quite easily have been spending every day of your life scratching a living in some God-awful corner of the earth picking coffee beans for a dollar a day, 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Now thats the sort of repetition to complain about...

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Reading this thread, is it just me that thinks that the best thing about University is that every day is different? I don't know what could be better than having your own hours (more or less), never having to explain yourself to anyone, and opening yourself to new thinking and developing your mind every day. I just want to be a student forever, and not because student life's one big party (its not these days). OK, not having any money is bad, but I have enough to occupy myself in my free time. And sometimes the work can get too intense. But its the best possible lifestyle I can think of.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
To be honest I never had this in high school and I was a poor kid who couldnt afford alot of school events. I was in clubs but they were not a means to end for college application browny points. I did them because I had an interest in what they offered.

In college I do not see how people see it routine. To me college I learn new things, my knowledge of stuff was always question (not in a bad way), My professors always taught us to think outside of what we had before.

I feel I learn something different everyday in college, even though I couldnt afford dorming and didnt experience ideal college I feel I had a great experience.

My professor once told me, a day of class is worth $165(est) so if you ignore a days worth of class you wasted that money. That gave me a reality shock.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Trapped is chemotherapy 6 hours a day 5 days a week, every third week for 3 months.

Get up, Shower, Get into something comfortable, try to maybe get a little work done, blood tests, sit in a chair for 6 hours while they empty 4 liters of sundry toxins into your blood stream all the while having a painful needle in your arm. Then be ravenously hungry and incredibly sick to your stomach for the next 5 hours and then eventually come down enough from the steroids to sleep.

That is trapped.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Well, maybe it was because yesterday was a bad day. Today was much better. And I have hope for my life...I don't want to be doing a job that I hate, nor will I. I remember Craig Ferguson saying that his dad always told him "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." I love film, and I already have somewhat of a job with that.

As for school, I go to a very tiny school, and I've known these people forever. However, I've never really connected with them the same way they connect with each other. Sure, I have friends, and I get along with 99.9% of them, but what they often talk about doesn't interest me that much, and vice versa. I hardly ever see any of them out of school, and vice versa. I'm hoping things will change next year because I'm enrolling in a new school that's quadruple the size of my current one.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
well the solution to your problem is quite simple really... i would start by making small changes in your daily life..you know..instead of adding oen cube of sugar to your coffee...hell have two..you only live once right? i would just make small changes..do that thing you always think of doing.... like you think of doing it...well DO IT becaus e you can...oh and maybe buy a new mac??:apple: :D :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.