Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tolix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Hy!
I decided to buy an 24'' iMac in nearest future. But there is one option i can`t figure out, so I hope you can help me. I want to know how big is difference between NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT and NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT in work with Photoshop and Final Cut Pro?
Thanks for promt answer:)

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
In photoshop, there would be absolutely no difference. In FCP I also believe there would be no difference, unless FCP has become 3d accelerated in the past few years.

Reep

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
SoCal
The main difference appears to be with 3-D rendering. If you use it, the faster card will help. Gamers obviously get the most benefit. I'm sure there is some acceleration of the CoreImage technology in Aperture, but it doesn't sound like it would be enough to make it worth it. Hence, I ordered my 24" iMac with the standard card. The standard card is already significantly faster than the 20" card.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
tolix said:
Hy!
I decided to buy an 24'' iMac in nearest future. But there is one option i can`t figure out, so I hope you can help me. I want to know how big is difference between NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT and NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT in work with Photoshop and Final Cut Pro?
Thanks for promt answer:)

The big difference IMO is 2x the video RAM. OS X caches window stores in video RAM, and the more you have on the graphics card, the less data the Window Server has to push across the bus.

I haven't tested this theory, but it makes sense to me. I simply don't have access to a new mac to test it out.

tolix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Thanks to all of you. I have nothing to do with 3D, i want to use FCP just for DVI video and sound. So, i hope NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT will be ok for me. But if you have anysing else, that I should now about those graphic cards, please share that info with me.
Thanks.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
Clever People Needed

come on the techies,

I have a 24" on order to ship on 22nd with the 128meg card. am still pondering to cancel and order the upgrade 256meg card.

I play games on the xbox so that counts games out. May use motion and a little 3D interior design, house plans etc, but not animated or anything too fancy.

come on this question needs some debate.

thanks

notmatthew

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
video upgrade?

Hi there, I can't wait to order my 24' iMac...but I have an important question. Are the video cards upgradable post-factory? Can I buy an iMac with 128mb and then later on buy a 256mb card to replace it? Anyone have any answers on this one?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
notmatthew said:
Hi there, I can't wait to order my 24' iMac...but I have an important question. Are the video cards upgradable post-factory? Can I buy an iMac with 128mb and then later on buy a 256mb card to replace it? Anyone have any answers on this one?

no, well not unless you want to try to take that sucker apart. wouldn't suggest it.

tolix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
notmatthew said:

Answer to your qwestion is here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.