Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussieinhk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
About to order a new iMac 24". Going for the faster (2.33Ghz) processor and was considering the faster GeForce 7600 video card with 256Mb ram. My dealer (whom I have a long history with) has recommended AGAINST this, as he says that it does not really increase performance at all.

My main usage is fairly basic and I don't really run games. I was thinking more of future resale value. Is there any reason to go for the faster video card?

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Well, he's PART right, a very small part. It won't increase performance for surfing the web, Word documents or email. But it is certainly a MAJOR improvement for high end apps like Motion and video games. Think too that the next version of iLife and iWork along with Leopard will be utilizing Core Animation fairly heavil, which will utilize the graphics card.

Take a look at this link for an idea of the sheer performance increase from the 7300GT to the 7600GT.

http://barefeats.com/imcd4.html

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I think that the 7600GT is a good upgrade (it is fairly inexpensive for a good sized boost in graphics performance). But if you only plan on surfing the web, using M$ Office, etc..., then the stock 7300GT should be fine for your needs. :)

In terms of resale value, having the 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo & the 256MB 7600GT will help, but not by a whole lot after say a year or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.