Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Great thread, I have the exact same Late 2014 iMac. Luckily, I got the display replaced under warranty (so I don't have to deal with those ghosting issues for another few years), but I'm thinking about the Blade SSD right now, and I'm wondering, are these upgradeable? I read that they were proprietary (https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades#hdr-16), but I also have read about other people actually replacing them and working (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-nvme-ssd-upgrade-pitfalls-and-tips.2177812/).

From the site I linked, I understand that the 2014 iMac PCIe might be limited to only 2 lanes instead of 4 lanes that is currently used, so this upgrade might not be too useful, but I'd still like to know if I'm thinking about this correctly and if it's possible.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Great thread, I have the exact same Late 2014 iMac. Luckily, I got the display replaced under warranty (so I don't have to deal with those ghosting issues for another few years), but I'm thinking about the Blade SSD right now, and I'm wondering, are these upgradeable? I read that they were proprietary (https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades#hdr-16), but I also have read about other people actually replacing them and working (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-nvme-ssd-upgrade-pitfalls-and-tips.2177812/).

I just found the answer to my own question, unfortunately, Apple uses a proprietary Apple PCIe 2.0 x2 NVMexpress interface, so replacing it with an EVO doesn't seem possible (unless someone else can speak up to this?). I'll just have to settle with performance increase from cleaning fan dust, applying Arctic MX-4 thermal paste, and possibly replacing 3TB HDD with an SDD. It is good enough, but I was just curious about the blade portion as well.

bobica

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2019
Thank you!
Sorry maybe is off topic but i need this information before i buy processor for upgrade
my iMac is 5k mid 2015 with lower processor ever i5 4590 3,3 ghz but the same socket 1150 like your late 2014. I want to upgrade with i7 4790k and i want to be sure is compatiblle. Aparently are the same imacs only cpu and gpu is different. I try to find someone who do this upgrade before but i didn't find nobody on internet.
Thanks Bobby

Regarding upgrading fan in 2014/2015 iMac 5K and changing it to dual fan from iMac Pro, it wont be possible. This two fans are slightly slimmer, but they taking much more space inside. They have 6 pin connector instead of 4pins in iMac 5K 2014/15.

But there is a chance to fix/glue/weld two fans from iMac 2014 into one. Only disadvantage will be taking off HDD bracket out. Like here:
uY7CNpel.jpg

Here you have this two iMacs side-by-side:
EWZMxli.jpg
So its possible ;)
[doublepost=1525738613][/doublepost]Update III: Delid & Relid of i7 4790K

Disassembly of my iMac took me around 25min ;)
I met really nice local guy in London - uk-delid - with cheap auction on eBay - DELID & RELID service UK - Intel CPUs (Coffee lake, Kaby lake, Skylake, Haswell)
Thank you for you great job!

Process took only 45min.

HqouINym.jpg
qATNoQNm.jpg

Du0wPL9m.jpg
Pm6LUpCm.jpg

py3FqO8m.jpg
dOCm8INm.jpg

But now, CPU is idling between 45-50c and reaching max 93c when in stress before fan kick's-in to lower temps to 80-85c.

GTA 5 - 15min in game - not even once throttling below 4GHz ;)
WkvJwkhl.jpg

Youtube and EyeTV - 1h video and TV
SGEGuBAl.png

Ended with total difference around 25c lower!!! But the best thing is, CPU won't thermal throttle to get lower
frequency and therefore lower temperature, like it was doing before while processing 4K video in iMovie.

Thank you Intel(R) for low-quality toothpaste on my CPU!

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
I think it would be better to buy an imac cooling system and experiment with it than to spoil what's inside!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iMac...339890&hash=item4b309fc4cf:g:bugAAOSwvD5aMYOm

Hi there,

You might be right on this one, but somehow your project has inspired me. I will in a first step replicate your project with some minor tweaks. However, one thing is still missing in my understanding. Could you elaborate on how you connected the second fan. What kind of adapter did you use? Do you have one picture left over that shows the second fan conector location. That would be very helpful. Thanks a lot for this landmark post of yours !!

AfroUSA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
UK
This topic is brilliant! Im looking forward to see 3D printouts dual fan body/case for 2014/2015 iMac 5K :)

BTW, my 2014 old 5K with i7-4790K and m295X still works well! Looks pretty clean inside ;)

AfroUSA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
UK
Hi,

Yesterday I received new second fan from AliExpress. So I copied TheSufle idea and made a twin-fan for my old iMac 5K 2014.

CsesVBo.jpg

I have made a cutout in the new fan in L shape, after the same was done to the old one to make them fit together.
I used Gorilla Epoxy Resin to glue it together. After it dried, I masked glue with black duck tape.

4pVoJlXl.jpg

The fan is bend a bit when you look on it from the profile, so if the new one is not glued on the angle towards the back of the case, it will touch the back of the led screen.
Hence the screen won't fit to the case.

ddcfEi2.jpg

I removed all HDD brackets, now SSD is taped with double sided adhesive to the back wall.
Third mounting pin for fan is now removed from back wall, so there is no need to cut a hole in the second fan.

CC6MtfV.jpg

After connecting all cables, cleaning up, there is a significant increase in the air moved inside the case.
You can feel it at the intake vents with your fingers.
When it blowers with full speed the air is going almost to the front, making large circular way from the back of the case :D

hcBeUaRl.png
0g8DDasl.png

Temperature drop a bit too ;) Above left photo is when watching youtube video at 4k, with Chrome and 15 tabs opened.
Right photo is at idling for a while.
All this effort give me dropped temperature when on load for:
GPU ~20°C lower
RAM ~10°C lower
SSD ~10°C lower

Last edited:

TheSufle

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
work was done well! I went ahead and used the second fan from imac 21 so that it was located in the same direction as the main one
[automerge]1573300326[/automerge]
I hope you made a partition inside? So that the air flow does not collide

Attachments

• 0D57DC3F-B6FB-4106-94E8-6D1FA62F85CB.jpeg
    0D57DC3F-B6FB-4106-94E8-6D1FA62F85CB.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

AfroUSA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
UK
I did use short partition in the middle. It's similar like in the new iMac Pro fan.
That's why I have chosen the same fan model with the same speed to match the old one, so the air will be going in the same speed from both directions.

qJyZTua.jpg

Reactions: TheSufle

TheSufle

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
the case from the imac pro fan will not work, if someone wants to use it, its length is 315 mm, it is too large, it rests on the motherboard and speakers

Cristiano Maradei

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
AlexMaximus Thank you for your suggestions!

I thought a day ago that if I use 12v from sata cable?

What do you think about this?
hi my friend, I need your help! in this picture what's the correct sequence pinout on the motherbord (i mean 12v, ground...)
1 - ?
2 - ?
3 - ?
4 - ?

Thanks

Attachments

• ttt.jpg
    ttt.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 280

TheSufle

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
hi my friend, I need your help! in this picture what's the correct sequence pinout on the motherbord (i mean 12v, ground...)
1 - ?
2 - ?
3 - ?
4 - ?

Thanks
it’s difficult to say, for this you need to disassemble the imac, 12v and the ground are connected to the sata cable, if you mix it up, nothing bad will happen, just the second fan will not rotate, therefore they will need to be connected the other way around
[automerge]1579256338[/automerge]
try 1-first fan
2-first fan
3-12v Yellow
4-Black

Or 1-first fan
2-first fan
3-Black
4-12v Yellow
[automerge]1579256591[/automerge]
12v of the second fan should go from sata otherwise the fans will rotate constantly to the maximum

Last edited:

Cristiano Maradei

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
thanks my friend, but can you tell me in the motherboard (see picture) what is the correct pinout sequence ?

Attachments

• placa.png
    placa.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 323

TheSufle

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
12v and ground connect to sata

from the connector you need only 3.4 pins, the rest to the sata cable

Attachments

• A419F64F-E26E-4989-9703-9EFA2899793A.jpeg
    A419F64F-E26E-4989-9703-9EFA2899793A.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

AfroUSA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
UK
additional air hole
Hi, that is a great idea, where did you get this mesh from?

Need to say, it was a long time ago I was checking inside of my iMac, but it still works well! Not so dirty anymore, thanks to better air flow ;)

EngramAgility

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
Vermont
This thread is amazing!! I am going to upgrade my CPU soon for my 2017 iMac 5K from i5 to i7 and thought I would do some other mods while I have the computer open and wanted some other opinions!
I currently have the 2.12TB fusion drive and was considering just leaving the NVME (due to cost) and just upgrading the 3.5 HDD with a 2.5 SSD. I think this should work just fine, but if anybody has any feedback, I'm welcome to it. Obviously when upgrading the CPU I'll reapply thermal paste to the CPU and the GPU.

However, I was also considering making an intake vent right behind the existing fan or cutting 2 holes towards the top of the case on either side of the Apple logo and installing two 40mm case fans for exhaust. Any thoughts on what might be the best option? I don't have a lot of wiring experience so I would probably just stick the fans to the outside of the case and use an external power supply.

TheSufle

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
This thread is amazing!! I am going to upgrade my CPU soon for my 2017 iMac 5K from i5 to i7 and thought I would do some other mods while I have the computer open and wanted some other opinions!
I currently have the 2.12TB fusion drive and was considering just leaving the NVME (due to cost) and just upgrading the 3.5 HDD with a 2.5 SSD. I think this should work just fine, but if anybody has any feedback, I'm welcome to it. Obviously when upgrading the CPU I'll reapply thermal paste to the CPU and the GPU.

However, I was also considering making an intake vent right behind the existing fan or cutting 2 holes towards the top of the case on either side of the Apple logo and installing two 40mm case fans for exhaust. Any thoughts on what might be the best option? I don't have a lot of wiring experience so I would probably just stick the fans to the outside of the case and use an external power supply.
Think 10 times before you do something, first change the disc and thermal grease, do not glue the screen back so that you can disassemble it again, the hottest part is the processor because of the too small heatsink, this is what you need to think about how to improve it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.