Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
20" iMac G5, 2.0 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM, 260 GB HD, AE+BT
Mac OS X 10.4.5

Firefox crashes a lot, but I am used to it. This time however, was really weird... Mac OS X has been reporting that FF has crashed before it actually has. That's weird, but I just figured that it was in the process of crashing when the Reporter came up. This time, the Reporter came up and FF was still working. I clicked "Reopen" just in case it was like the times before. It wasn't however. Three minutes later, iTunes started skipping, which happens sometimes, and then it stopped playing altogether. My mouse still worked, but the pointer was stuck with FF's "working" pointer. All applications locked up and I couldn't switch to Finder or get anything to Force Quit. After I hard-restarted it, I verified and repaired my disk permissions for the very first time on this machine and everything seems to be running a lot smoother, although iPhoto's music during a slideshow was pretty choppy in places.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Repairing permissions worked! Yay! :D

I don't use Firefox because I hate everything it stands for but I still don't think it should be crashing all that often. Have you tried the usual preference removal?

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
mad jew said:
Repairing permissions worked! Yay! :D

I don't use Firefox because I hate everything it stands for but I still don't think it should be crashing all that often. Have you tried the usual preference removal?

No, I will, but doesn't it seem ridiculous to have to repair and/or delete permissions when things don't work properly? Shouldn't the computer/application take care of this on its own (at least the repairing permissions part?)

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Talked to Apple Store

Well, I talked to guy at the Apple Store, and he basically said that it was Firefox's fault and that he personally preferred Safari. I do, too, in some respects, such as stability and lack of bugs, and UI, but I like FF's Live Bookmarks and Extensions. If I knew how to simply report a bug on mozilla.org or .com, then I would, but it seems like a complicated process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.