Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Hi,

One of my iMacs (the early series - green RevB) ... I gave the same to a friend just for sake of Word typing and complimenting interior decor

Anyway, his girlfriend (!) while attempting to connect USB cable from printer
to keyboard...something blow up inside (in very loud manner)

Apparently, socket from where the printer is plugged, is not reliable and probably damaged. I gather this was at expense to this poor iMAC

Can someone give rough estimation what might have gone inside?
And most of al,l is this even worth of repairing?

Did someone had some similar episode?

Sine you are out of warranty it is hard to say, it could have just blown the PAV board, which is not to expensive, does anything happend when you press the power button? The tricky thing with these accidents is that it can damage a lot of other stuff too. It could have killed the mobo, and the screen too.

Mike88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Macmaniac said:
Sine you are out of warranty it is hard to say, it could have just blown the PAV board, which is not to expensive, does anything happend when you press the power button? The tricky thing with these accidents is that it can damage a lot of other stuff too. It could have killed the mobo, and the screen too.

Well, you see the iMAC is still with this friend in fact I gave the same to him. He called me for help, and since I haven?t got time this week to deal with that, that is why I asked here, thinking someone might have experienced this episode.

I have looked his schematics on web, and I don?t like this crowded elements on tiny board, I just hope some input element has been sacrificed first and drenched most of the blow so that other elements are fine.

Upon (he said that) power ON, only thing working is cooler.

v-i-c-

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
if it was a loud blow then it was an exploded capaciator. these are really easy to detect with your eyes. they are cheap and easy to solder - but no idea if the mainboard is still working after such a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.