Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Alienware has really been moving downmarket lately - lots of el cheapo, ho-hum hardware on their website nowadays.

And this just looks like a pimp's iMac G5.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I hope apple sues them.. :eek: I mean how can they copy apple's camera idea just like that?

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Very ugly. I don't think it would steal iMac sales at all and they don't look nearly the same. It's like comparing good vs evil. Plus it comes with Windows... and who wants that? Honestly... :rolleyes:

It disgusts me that companies try to make fast money by copying others ideas and styles, but this one is done terribly. Alienware sux0rz

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
Am I the only one here that actually prefers the older G4 iMac form factor? With the small round base and awesome swivel LCD that could easilly be adjusted. I just think that was one of the coolest form factors for a computer that I've ever seen. It made me sad when the G5 "computer on the back of my monitor" form factor showed up.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I don't think its ugly at all but it certainly not anything special. Just looks like they paired a black keyboard to a 40" Sony LCD and threw an Alienware logo on it.

I remember when Alienware use to be the hottest thing for PCs. Now I couldn't really tell the difference from any other PC manufacturer.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
freeny said:
Hey Alienware! 1984 called and they want their computer casing back!
LOL - I was thinking more like 1977. Anybody remember those old black Ampex stereos? It looks just like one of them morphed into a computer...

I know folks were discussing the possibility of malware activating the iSight in the new iMac and feeding spy images to someone over the net, but here's a system where that's a distinct possibility if it's running any version of Windows.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Dr. Dastardly said:
I remember when Alienware use to be the hottest thing for PCs. Now I couldn't really tell the difference from any other PC manufacturer.

Heck, nowadays you can get an Alienware powered by a 3-year old P4 and blazing fast integrated graphics! :eek: :rolleyes:

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
Macmaniac said:
Looks like crap. Very unstylish. I am surprised that Alienware would make something so ugly. Its very similar spec wise, interesting angle from Alienware.

beauty is subjective but I have never seen anything made by Alienware that I would call stylish

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Randall said:
Am I the only one here that actually prefers the older G4 iMac form factor? With the small round base and awesome swivel LCD that could easilly be adjusted. I just think that was one of the coolest form factors for a computer that I've ever seen. It made me sad when the G5 "computer on the back of my monitor" form factor showed up.
Completely and utterly agree with you. I love my iMac, only wish there was a way to upgrade it to a G5 in the same casing :mad:

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Looks like crap, and having the trackpad on the right side of the keyboard doesn't really work for those of us who are left handed.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, not terrible, but not great - and is the keyboard attached to the frame at the bottom? If so, that's a huge mistake - but none of the pics show the keyboard in any other position....

D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
In the Engadget photo the keyboard is definitely detached and apparently cordless. A touch pad on the right makes it a nonstarter here though :p

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
neocell said:
Completely and utterly agree with you. I love my iMac, only wish there was a way to upgrade it to a G5 in the same casing :mad:
You know, they actually would be able to return to that G4 iMac casing with the newer intel processors (not nearly as hot as the G5, smaller components etc.). They probably wouldn't do it, since the new form factor is similar in design to their cinema displays, but I would love to see the old form factor return to the iMac. :D Anybody else?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
digitalrebelxt said:
I was surfing the web and saw this on engadget's site.

http://engadget.com/2006/01/05/alienware-area-51-5400-all-in-one-pc/

How can companies do that copy someone else's design and get a way with it? Lawsuit you think in the future from Apple?

actually some small pc boutique companies have been making a design similar (but not nearly as streamlined) to that before apple's g5 imac

and our current ibook looks very close to similar fujitsu models from back in our clamshell days

and we were one of the first, ironically, to use beige plastic back in the day

we could start a counter-revolution and make beige desktops again, but with apple's better industrial design...it would look retro and only apple could pull it off

i once saw a toshiba laptop that was beige plastic and it was kind of attractive in its own strange way

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
Ok, not terrible, but not great - and is the keyboard attached to the frame at the bottom? If so, that's a huge mistake - but none of the pics show the keyboard in any other position....

D

It's not. it doesn't look like it's attached, and the article says it's a bluetooth keyboard.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
jefhatfield said:
we could start a counter-revolution and make beige desktops again, but with apple's better industrial design...it would look retro and only apple could pull it off

Only if they use beige plastic that doesn't get yellow like a smoker's stained teeth.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.