iMac Clone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by digitalrebelxt, Jan 5, 2006.

1. digitalrebelxt macrumors member

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Looks like crap. Very unstylish. I am surprised that Alienware would make something so ugly. Its very similar spec wise, interesting angle from Alienware.

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Hey Alienware! 1984 called and they want their computer casing back!

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Alienware has really been moving downmarket lately - lots of el cheapo, ho-hum hardware on their website nowadays.

And this just looks like a pimp's iMac G5.

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

oh it's not that bad, I mean it's really not that much uglier than the current g5 iMac

6. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I hope apple sues them.. :eek: I mean how can they copy apple's camera idea just like that?

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

having a camera built in to the monitor doesn't really seem like a patentable idea.

8. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

9. haiggy macrumors 65816

Very ugly. I don't think it would steal iMac sales at all and they don't look nearly the same. It's like comparing good vs evil. Plus it comes with Windows... and who wants that? Honestly... :rolleyes:

It disgusts me that companies try to make fast money by copying others ideas and styles, but this one is done terribly. Alienware sux0rz

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Apple didn't invent a camera in a display, I think Stanley Kubrick did ;) And then there was the Picturephone...

11. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

Am I the only one here that actually prefers the older G4 iMac form factor? With the small round base and awesome swivel LCD that could easilly be adjusted. I just think that was one of the coolest form factors for a computer that I've ever seen. It made me sad when the G5 "computer on the back of my monitor" form factor showed up.

12. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I don't think its ugly at all but it certainly not anything special. Just looks like they paired a black keyboard to a 40" Sony LCD and threw an Alienware logo on it.

I remember when Alienware use to be the hottest thing for PCs. Now I couldn't really tell the difference from any other PC manufacturer.

13. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    LOL - I was thinking more like 1977. Anybody remember those old black Ampex stereos? It looks just like one of them morphed into a computer...

I know folks were discussing the possibility of malware activating the iSight in the new iMac and feeding spy images to someone over the net, but here's a system where that's a distinct possibility if it's running any version of Windows.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Heck, nowadays you can get an Alienware powered by a 3-year old P4 and blazing fast integrated graphics! :eek: :rolleyes:

15. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

beauty is subjective but I have never seen anything made by Alienware that I would call stylish

16. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Completely and utterly agree with you. I love my iMac, only wish there was a way to upgrade it to a G5 in the same casing :mad:

17. adk macrumors 68000

adk

IMHO, I think it looks good*

*For a windows knockoff of something great

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Looks like crap, and having the trackpad on the right side of the keyboard doesn't really work for those of us who are left handed.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There are some more views and specs up now. Apparently the production unit doesn't have the giant logo as seen at CES.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, not terrible, but not great - and is the keyboard attached to the frame at the bottom? If so, that's a huge mistake - but none of the pics show the keyboard in any other position....

D

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

In the Engadget photo the keyboard is definitely detached and apparently cordless. A touch pad on the right makes it a nonstarter here though :p

22. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

You know, they actually would be able to return to that G4 iMac casing with the newer intel processors (not nearly as hot as the G5, smaller components etc.). They probably wouldn't do it, since the new form factor is similar in design to their cinema displays, but I would love to see the old form factor return to the iMac. :D Anybody else?

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually some small pc boutique companies have been making a design similar (but not nearly as streamlined) to that before apple's g5 imac

and our current ibook looks very close to similar fujitsu models from back in our clamshell days

and we were one of the first, ironically, to use beige plastic back in the day

we could start a counter-revolution and make beige desktops again, but with apple's better industrial design...it would look retro and only apple could pull it off

i once saw a toshiba laptop that was beige plastic and it was kind of attractive in its own strange way

24. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's not. it doesn't look like it's attached, and the article says it's a bluetooth keyboard.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Only if they use beige plastic that doesn't get yellow like a smoker's stained teeth.:rolleyes: