Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So this summer I might want to sell my PowerMac (2x1.8 G5, 1.25 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, 10.4, Airport, 4 port USB 2.0 PCI card. No Bluetooth) and buy a Core Duo iMac. Would it be worth it as far as performance gains go? Also, what do yo uthink the G5 could sell for?

Thanks

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
BlizzardBomb said:
Well, what do you use your Power Mac for? You will only see gains if the apps you use are UB.

Web surfing, some PHP programming and the ocassional photoshop.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
yg17 said:

Not to be nasty, but I don't think you probably even needed a Powermac G5 for that.....

Trade you a Powermac G4 ;)

My thinking is that all you're getting out of buying a Core Duo iMac is a bit of a speed increase because of the switch to Intel for UB apps, and a performance decrease for non-UB apps. And the built in monitor.

Not so sure I'd be looking into a Intel Mac personally, if I had a PowermacG5. I don't know if the cost would justify the performance increase

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
yg17 said:

You wouldn't see any noticable gains from an Intel iMac, but a severe slowdown in photoshop. Hold on to your Power Mac and wait until it ships with Leopard as standard ;)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
BlizzardBomb said:
You wouldn't see any noticable gains from an Intel iMac, but a severe slowdown in photoshop. Hold on to your Power Mac and wait until it ships with Leopard as standard ;)

i second that

and want to add that your dual G5 power mac should last you a long time and you will have the expandability factor

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
jefhatfield said:
i second that

and want to add that your dual G5 power mac should last you a long time and you will have the expandability factor

I would say that a Powermac will only start to show it's age about 5 years after it has been released, possibly longer.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
SC68Cal said:
I would say that a Powermac will only start to show it's age about 5 years after it has been released, possibly longer.

hey, it's off topic, but i saw your sig...i also have a dual 500 G4 power mac, 1 gig ram, but with jaguar...how does tiger run on it?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
You might want to hold onto your 1.8GHz DP Power Mac G5 a little longer. The iMac will not be that much faster, and is less expandable (less RAM, less room for HDDs, non-upgradeable graphics, etc..). If you really want a Mac that is powered by an Intel chip, wait for the Power Macs/Mac Pro to be released with the Conroe processor. Just my 2¢... :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
dmw007 said:
You might want to hold onto your 1.8GHz DP Power Mac G5 a little longer. The iMac will not be that much faster, and is less expandable (less RAM, less room for HDDs, non-upgradeable graphics, etc..). If you really want a Mac that is powered by an Intel chip, wait for the Power Macs/Mac Pro to be released with the Conroe processor. Just my 2¢... :)

that would be a righteous machine

i would like a quad intel power mac (if that's what they call it) with leopard for graphics and internet/email and vista for gaming and windows only apps

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
jefhatfield said:
that would be a righteous machine

i would like a quad intel power mac (if that's what they call it) with leopard for graphics and internet/email and vista for gaming and windows only apps

Righteous indeed, it is what I am saving my money up for. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.