Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burrikido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Happy new year, guys!
I'm opening a new topic 'cause I couldn't find answers for my questions after 3 days of googleing around.
Long story short: I was browsing with Chrome, couple of tabs opened, the mail app, skype, finder and a couple of more "inoffensive" apps opened, I can't remember exactly, and suddenly my iMac rebooted. At least tried to.
Since, I couldn't start it. Sometimes I got stuck at a black screen, sometimes at a white one, and sometimes it starts and shows the apple logo and the loading circle than back to the white screen, and sometimes the chime is looping.
I managed once to boot into Disk Utility with command +R and start the disk repair, but it restarted.Same thing happened when I gave the fsck command in single user mode. I noticed that it reboots when its loading something related to Parallels, but not sure that's the problem. Then I tried everything:
-verbose: no success: restarting.
-boot from disk: restarting
-netboot: restarting.
-command+R: restarting
-single user mode: restarting after a couple of minutes of inactivity.
-can't boot to Disk Warrior.
-safe boot: nothing
-Apple Hardware Test not working
-SMC & nvram Reset: several times, nothing changed.
-changed memory modules to the original ones at 2GB

My mac:
osX Mountain Lion 10.8
Model Number: MB398
Machine Model: iMac8,1
CPU speed: 3.06GHz
24 inch

Any help will be truly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

harlex

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Not such a good start to the New Year for you. It seem like you have done most things to get going, it may that you will have to load ML back on to clear the bug. Hopefully you saved your work

burrikido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
:( No, unfortunately, not a good new year start for me, and I have sh#& load of work to do, my windows 8 laptop can't keep up. The bad luck is that my NAS server is full, so no backups in the last 2 weeks or so. Can you give me some advice about how to load back the OS if it's impossible for me to boot from disk? Thanks for reply.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
:( No, unfortunately, not a good new year start for me, and I have sh#& load of work to do, my windows 8 laptop can't keep up. The bad luck is that my NAS server is full, so no backups in the last 2 weeks or so. Can you give me some advice about how to load back the OS if it's impossible for me to boot from disk? Thanks for reply.

If you have another Mac around, you could try Target Disk mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.