Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisnorth

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2002
Yukon, Canada
The new iMac is a wonderful machine, but I certainly can't imagine too many school administrators purchasing something with a flexible neck for use by your average student. Does Apple have a new model to fill the obvious void they've created in the educational market?

Chrisnorth

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2002
Yukon, Canada
I'm sure that the new iMacs are up to Apple's usual standards for toughness and longevity. However, my concern has to do with perception. The new iMac says "eloquent" more than "robust". Isn't it a concern that school board buyers will be looking for up-to-date technology (ie G4's) in a what appears to be a robust package?

moJo

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2002
don't understand why people make such rediculous assumptions... my keyboarding teacher and myself are trying to fill the room with the new iMac (Currently filled with Apple IIe's, kind of sad..) We're talking with an apple rep about discounts and any other way we can get them some what cheap, because there isnt much money to go around. They just filled the "Computer Applications 1/2" room with Dell's. Sh*ttiest things you'll ever use(celeron), my (catholic nun) teacher refuses to replace the IIe's with any IBM machine. wish us luck, and hopefully other schools are interested in the imac's as well..

stoid

macrumors 601
imac neck

The new iMacs neck is incredably sturdy. Apple even suggests that for short distance carrying that you hold it by the neck! And you guys know Apple, its practically voiding your warranty just to take most computers out of the box, hehehe. Anyway, I would worry about a new iMac in a room with a bunch of kids. I'm sure Apple wouldn't release a computer they wanted to get into schools without making sure it could stand the abuse. Also, if you were a kid it would seem like a dream to walk into a room full of iMacs. Just to get the priveldge of sitting down in front of one would make you sit up straight and behave. Of course though, I imagine that if you wanted to break one, just like any other computer, I'm sure you could.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
CRT

The CRT iMac is still an awesome machine for education. Quicker, faster, and better looking than most PCs out there!

P.S. I meant BETTER looking than ALL PCs out there ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I think if anything.....the previous iMacs are going to be almost half the price of the new iMac......which would likely make a first choice for schools looking into purschasing one....

also.....I don't doubt the sturdyness of the new iMac.....but I can't imagine it lasting very long in a grade school.... :(

mattman

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2002
iMacs in Classrooms you bet!!!!

:D Actually, int eh district where I work it is better than the old iMacs. There isn't a fight to sit in front of the keyboard for students to work together. As for strength and durability it is alot stronger than it looks in the ad. Way cool!!!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by moJo
don't understand why people make such rediculous assumptions... my keyboarding teacher and myself are trying to fill the room with the new iMac (Currently filled with Apple IIe's, kind of sad..) We're talking with an apple rep about discounts and any other way we can get them some what cheap, because there isnt much money to go around. They just filled the "Computer Applications 1/2" room with Dell's. Sh*ttiest things you'll ever use(celeron), my (catholic nun) teacher refuses to replace the IIe's with any IBM machine. wish us luck, and hopefully other schools are interested in the imac's as well..

IIe's?! Holy crap! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.