Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Hey there!

I have a iMAc G3 400 Mhz, it's pretty old this one and it was given by a friend, since the day i turned it on (with OS9) there was, and still is, a buzzing sound it's not very loud, but in long term it get's annoying, my question is, this buzz is from the hard drive or is it from the cooling fans?

I've already opened it, but haven't seen no fans lol

Also, the hard drive, when booting, it makes a lot of noise reading from it, is it also a sign of damaged hard drive?

Anyone had the same problem here?

Thank u

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Hey there!

I have a iMAc G3 400 Mhz, it's pretty old this one and it was given by a friend, since the day i turned it on (with OS9) there was, and still is, a buzzing sound it's not very loud, but in long term it get's annoying, my question is, this buzz is from the hard drive or is it from the cooling fans?

I've already opened it, but haven't seen no fans lol

Also, the hard drive, when booting, it makes a lot of noise reading from it, is it also a sign of damaged hard drive?

Anyone had the same problem here?

Thank u

I don't know where it is from, but the computer is passively cooled meaning no fans.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
A buzzing will either be a dying hard drive or a dying power supply unit. Either way you are going to have to spend money on fixing it.

You could always take it to the apple store and get then to have a look.

If it is the hard drive make sure that you are running a backup of all your files, just to be on the safe side.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Pixellated, didn't know lol :D

If i change the hard drive (most obvious) how can i install a fresh osx?

Do i need to have a install cd in the drive, when i first boot the imac with the new drive?

sorry the question, it maybe simple, but i don't know how it's made!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
yes you need a install disc
as the new drive comes empty without anything on it , if you dont have a disc look at ebay they are not expensive (there you might also find a good deal for a harddrive )
you need a "ide" "ultra ata " harddrive
and the old iMacs can only see a maximum 128gb

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Very likely to be the HDD. There was a whole batch of first generation iMac DVs that left the factory with an extremely loud drive. I think it was a Seagate 10GB one, which made a constant high-pitched buzzing sound. I replaced mine with a 40GB IBM one and the reduction in noise levels was incredible.

mdoggie

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
Port Orchard, WA
iMac G3 buzz

In case there is any doubt: I bought a used iMac G3, Special Edition DV in 2000-2001. It is still running on the desk I never use in my room. Occasionally I update the software. I can tell it's running because it whines loudly and continually, it always has. I thought all iMacs whined like that and didn't find out until later that they don't. In any case, it is still going, I used it in my business until 2 years ago when my practice management software become a little too much for it. I have been trying to find someone who has successfully upgraded theirs 'cause I do think they are classic. I love the Mac mini idea but it appears it is very difficult and dangerous to try and use the CRT display. Most are recommending gutting the shell and installing a 15" flat screen.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
easiest options would be to get a upgraded board with a faster processor by some small companys (550mhz g4 was the biggest available ) but as they are out of production since years ,they are rare and only turn up every other year once at ebay .com and fetch astronomic prices
the cheapest option would still be to get the latest iMac g3 logic boards 600/700mhz , 16mb vram graphics plus a 7200rpm harddrive for it

i also heard rumrs about people sucessfully fitted board of the iBook g3 900 ,
but only rumors and no evidence of it

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
I'd have to hear the buzz, but typically Hard drives don't "buzz" - they emit high pitched whines when their bearings start to go, and they make "clicking" sounds as they read data from the head. A constant buzz can be coming from the power supply or the CRT.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
yes, it's more like that a high pitch sound and the clicking sound, exactly!

At the time the "buzz sound" was the only thing i've remembered lol

But indeed it's a high pitch sound, high enough when i turn it off after, say 1 or 2 hours, it makes a real silence in the room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.