Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
well it started to install then it failed... now i cant boot to OS 8 disks or OS X disks :S im a bit stumped! wonder if its worth pulling the hard drive out, formatting it in a PC then reinstalling?

How big is your Hard Drive? if it is over 8GB it must have 2 partitions On it. the tray loading imacs have to have OS X on the fist partition and be no bigger then 8Gb For the boot partition:)

This is a Quote from lowendmac.com

If you have a hard drive over 8 GB in size, you must partition it or you will not be able to install Mac OS X. If you are creating the partition within OS X, it must be smaller than 7.4 GB as reported by Disk Utility (because sometimes a GB is billion bytes and sometimes it's 1,073,741,824 bytes); we suggest simply setting it at 7 GB to avoid having to redo the whole installation if the partition ends up bigger than specified (it happens). Mac OS X must be completely within the first 8 GB of space on your hard drive or you will not be able to run OS X.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
How big is your Hard Drive? if it is over 8GB it must have 2 partitions On it. the tray loading imacs have to have OS X on the fist partition and be no bigger then 8Gb For the boot partition:)

This is a Quote from lowendmac.com

its a 20Gb but i had to partition it to install 10.3 so it was pre partitioned at 7.4
I dont know why it failed tbh, i would have been happy with 10.3 but in order to install USB Wi-Fi i need 10.4
Any ideas how i can recover this? i cant get the thing to boot to any disk, i could try my snow leopard disk to see if it boots to it (i know it wont install just checking the boot).

Ive ordered a 128mb card to bring it upto 382Mb total RAM as apparently it wont take 2x 256mb

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
its a 20Gb but i had to partition it to install 10.3 so it was pre partitioned at 7.4
I dont know why it failed tbh, i would have been happy with 10.3 but in order to install USB Wi-Fi i need 10.4
Any ideas how i can recover this? i cant get the thing to boot to any disk, i could try my snow leopard disk to see if it boots to it (i know it wont install just checking the boot).

Ive ordered a 128mb card to bring it upto 382Mb total RAM as apparently it wont take 2x 256mb

Try this:) Start up your imac holding down Command, Option, P, and R hold the keys down to you hear 3 start up sounds this resets the pram and it may get it to boot from cd again. if that did not work try this, hold down command-option-O-F while the computer starts up this will get you to Open Firmware Then type. boot cd:,\\tbxi and press enter this will boot the dvd. Let us know if this worked:)

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Try this:) Start up your imac holding down Command, Option, P, and R hold the keys down to you hear 3 start up sounds this resets the pram and it may get it to boot from cd again. if that did not work try this, hold down command-option-O-F while the computer starts up this will get you to Open Firmware Then type. boot cd:,\\tbxi and press enter this will boot the dvd. Let us know if this worked:)

Nice :p im looking forward to trying this... just to hear the startup tone 3 times lol!

is the button inside the PRAM button? i never pressed it after installing the new CPU, wonder if thats what caused the issue?

will it matter if i boot to OS X or OS 9, the OS X 10.4 disk is the PPC version and the black disk so cant see anything wrong there... it did the check 1st and that checked out 100% too. But when im home tonight, i shall try!

But if it does boot, then what do i do as i wont be able to use XPostFacto to reinstall :S

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
Nice :p im looking forward to trying this... just to hear the startup tone 3 times lol!

is the button inside the PRAM button? i never pressed it after installing the new CPU, wonder if thats what caused the issue?
No, That is the PMU button (Power Management Unit) it can be reset but if the iMac is working i would leave it alone as this is for if you are having power issues like the iMac not turning on:) I love the start up tone as well:D

will it matter if i boot to OS X or OS 9, the OS X 10.4 disk is the PPC version and the black disk so cant see anything wrong there... it did the check 1st and that checked out 100% too. But when im home tonight, i shall try!
OS X or OS 9 is fine if you had OS X 10.3 running before that may be your best bet:) 10.4 still won't work being It needs FireWire Ports to install.

But if it does boot, then what do i do as i wont be able to use XPostFacto to reinstall :S
You will have to install OS X 10.1 or later to use xpostfacto if you want to try to install 10.4 again:). i known they used to sell usb wi-fi cards that worked with os x 10.3 but i can't seem to find them any more:(

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
No, That is the PMU button (Power Management Unit) it can be reset but if the iMac is working i would leave it alone as this is for if you are having power issues like the iMac not turning on:) I love the start up tone as well:D

OS X or OS 9 is fine if you had OS X 10.3 running before that may be your best bet:) 10.4 still won't work being It needs FireWire Ports to install.

You will have to install OS X 10.1 or later to use xpostfacto if you want to try to install 10.4 again:). i known they used to sell usb wi-fi cards that worked with os x 10.3 but i can't seem to find them any more:(

i shall have to hunt out my 10.3 disks as it was ages ago that i installed that hahaha. i dont really fancy pulling it out and trying it in the new iMac, actually i dont think that would even install lol. so i guess its just crack on with this problem solving. ^.^

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Fantastic!!! great shot's too. I admire your dedication. And a great job well done!

If you know of any collectable mac's, let me know...I know you won't sell Bondi though.

A great thread!

Thanks very much :)

There are many great examples on ebay, especially down your end of the UK, there is a fully reconditioned one as i see the other day but they are asking quite a bit for it. But i shall do!

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK

unfortunately that didn't work, however after discovering this following post;

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1957428?start=0&tstart=0

i realised that the new DVD drive may not allow booting, so i formatted the hard drive in a PC and then refitted the skeleton remains of the old CD drive and it allowed me to boot to OS X 10.3 Disk.

I suppose that makes sense that its not an apple drive

just means i need to swap it back before upgrading to OS X 10.4 lol

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Well i sucessfully reinstalled OS X 10.3 today so after my 2 night shifts i will be attempting 10.4 installation again :) i also got 128mb to install to increase from 256mb to 382mb which is as far as i can go unfortunatly.

if only i could find the VoodooII upgrade card and sonnet harmoni g4 card lol

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
Well i sucessfully reinstalled OS X 10.3 today so after my 2 night shifts i will be attempting 10.4 installation again :) i also got 128mb to install to increase from 256mb to 382mb which is as far as i can go unfortunatly.

Let us know how the 10.4 install goes:)

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal

First, congratulations on the imac =)
I wouldn't bother installing g4 with that ram...I ran 10.4 on a ibook g3 800MHz and 640Mb ram it was a little slow, prefered 10.3
I have a pair of voodoo 2 cards, but for pc =) do iMacs have pci slots?
Even if they do and even if you find a mac voodoo 2, 3dfx only made drivers for macOs 9, so you won't earn anything (unless you have dual boot with MacOs 9).
They were great cards...some years ago I put them on a pentium 4 and they ran Soldiers of Fortune 2!link here.
Good luck with that beauty, and take a read on "my" FAQ it may help you =)

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Let us know how the 10.4 install goes:)

will do buddy :)

First, congratulations on the imac =)
I wouldn't bother installing g4 with that ram...I ran 10.4 on a ibook g3 800MHz and 640Mb ram it was a little slow, prefered 10.3
I have a pair of voodoo 2 cards, but for pc =) do iMacs have pci slots?
Even if they do and even if you find a mac voodoo 2, 3dfx only made drivers for macOs 9, so you won't earn anything (unless you have dual boot with MacOs 9).
They were great cards...some years ago I put them on a pentium 4 and they ran Soldiers of Fortune 2!link here.
Good luck with that beauty, and take a read on "my" FAQ it may help you =)

I need to get it to 10.4 but am going to have to reduce it down to somnthing similar to 10.3.

i shall look at your post :)

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
well as we speak its 'configuring installation' it seemed to use xpostfacto' much better than the 1st time round as it seemed to get stuck in the DOS looking section. The DVD checked out as OK and is currently writing files... but the time to install is rapidly jumping up from 17 mins to 58 mins at present lol. ohh wait now its about an hour hahaha.

FINGERS CROSSED!! 1st thing i will do is max update it then try to shave as many non required applications etc to allow it to run as good as possible. My friend has given me the task of running minecraft from here... i can't see it working but gonna give it a go if 10.4 installs :) well after I've done everything else anyways.

btw skinniezinho, that FAQ of yours is very helpful, especially the Software Questions section! I will be following it to get this running the way i would like :)

BTW 1 hour 33 ;-) but already its further than it was last time so fingers crossed

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
It installed! this time when it give an error, it restarted without having to reinstall 10.3 so when it started installing again i just walked away and came back to 10.4! :-D

Im actually very impressed, it seems quicker then 10.3! i can't understand why, even the magnification of the dock is seamless. I'm currently trying to get it on Wi-Fi, fingers crossed that gets sorted next... BUT ROCK ON IM LOVING THIS! :D

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Well, I'm updated to 10.4.11 and have installed all updates, i have disabled dashboard and am going to look at using trim fat etc. I am now running Wi-Fi which works brilliantly.

So far i am yet to play a DVD as Apple DVD Player is not supported on the Rage Pro

"ATI RagePro/RageII (the Apple DVD player requires a Rage128 or better graphics chip)"

So next its time to try VLC :)

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
Well, I'm updated to 10.4.11 and have installed all updates, i have disabled dashboard and am going to look at using trim fat etc. I am now running Wi-Fi which works brilliantly.

How did you get it installed? did xpostfacto work for you?. Glad you got it to work another imac g3 saved:D

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
How did you get it installed? did xpostfacto work for you?. Glad you got it to work another imac g3 saved:D

yeah it worked with xpostfacto, i did the same as i did the 1st time but then when it failed the 2nd time it allowed me to start again without reinstalling 10.3 (which was a major time saving win!), and so i left it and walked out the house hahaha. i came back to a 10.4 desktop :)

BTW i managed to get it playing Videos + DVDs VLC but its too jumpy with only 182mb RAM, i think i know whats causing me the problem now though... i have purchased high density RAM so it only reads half of what is there 256mb as 128mb and 128mb as 64mb... so back to ebay i go :-(

Minecraft loads but crashes just before the main screen appears, I'm assuming down to RAM

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Minecraft loads but crashes just before the main screen appears, I'm assuming down to RAM

The Rage Pro may be the source of your Minecraft problems as well. A Rage Pro can't play 3D games under OS X. Apple just never made the right drivers... Real shame too. Can make OS X on these machines somewhat of a downgrade given that OS 9 plays 3D games just fine.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
The Rage Pro may be the source of your Minecraft problems as well. A Rage Pro can't play 3D games under OS X. Apple just never made the right drivers... Real shame too. Can make OS X on these machines somewhat of a downgrade given that OS 9 plays 3D games just fine.

yeah i know what you mean, i have Warcraft III knocking round somewhere and I'm gonna try installing it to see what its like. Surely there is some half decent driver out there for the rage pro!

Sounds to me like you now have a G3 sport on your hands. Keep going and who knows how far you can go!

haha it will be once i max out at 512, having a nightmare trying to source the correct RAM... i don't really know the difference between high and low density of a 256mb module lol

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
yeah i know what you mean, i have Warcraft III knocking round somewhere and I'm gonna try installing it to see what its like. Surely there is some half decent driver out there for the rage pro!

Nope, never has been. I don't think Warcraft 3 will run on that at all.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK

Nope, never has been. I don't think Warcraft 3 will run on that at all.

have faith :-Done will try! or keep trying until it works!

Am trying to Leopard skin the tiger at the moment, dock works but the menu bar and icons don't yet

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
ohhhhhhhhhh man :-(

After installing Warcraft III, It said OpenGL failed to Load... Turns out the Rage Pro didn't support OpenGL so there goes that out the window :-(

Sooooooooo... Now I've had my fun with that, I'm now thinking of putting in a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini into the subframe of the iMac. As the iMac uses a pretty much standard power supply connector, I'm hoping i can use the female end from the motherboard and solder the connections into place. This is a more heavy mod but i will achieve it. Really, this iMac will not really be of much use still the way it is :-(

So really i need 1 major thing, that is the pin out of the CRT.

i have my eye on a mac mini at the moment, gonna try get it for around £100 for a broken one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.