Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
it's alive!!!!! After so many weeks, i finally got it to run.. i've spent much more on install discs than thd machine itself.. :p

I have an extra:
1. Mac os x 10.3 & 10.5 - gray cd's bought by mistake
2. 256mb ram 200pin-working
3. 1gb ram 184 pin- not yet tested but bought as new
4. 512mb ram 184 pin- working

Others: 10.3 full install- 23pounds, 10.4 retail dvd- 50pounds, 10.5 family pack-83pounds.. Everything bought in ebay..

Any1 want anything.? :p

if you are offering to sell i might be interested in the 512mb stick of ram, bring my monsters g5 up to 4gb of ram:D

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
if you are offering to sell i might be interested in the 512mb stick of ram, bring my monsters g5 up to 4gb of ram:D

i'm gonna sell it in ebay if you like you can buy it there.. :p but it may not be the right memory for you.. i just discovered that this imac is the 1ghz and not the 1.25.. :( ... but it doesn't have any problems with the type of ram that i placed inside it.. i researched the type of ram the 1ghz uses and it's the pc2100 but i placed the pc2700.. will this cause a problem for me in the future? :confused:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
i researched the type of ram the 1ghz uses and it's the pc2100 but i placed the pc2700.. will this cause a problem for me in the future? :confused:

Nope. It will run exactly that same as with PC2100. Your can even mix PC2100 with 2700 or 3200 without troubles.

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
so 2 quick maybe stupid questions.. :p
1. Can i take out the cd drive and replace it with another hard drive so that i'll have more space.? Is this possible.?
2. I was planning to spray paint my imac; the dome and back portion of the monitor, are there any concerns i should know about,? It's not really that white anymore.. :p thnks..

Btw, it has 2gb ram now.. :p

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
there are no reasons you can't take the cd drive out and put a hdd in instead, i have done it on powermac g4's before, and there is not really much to know about spray painting it just cover the screen

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
thanks for the info..

another question:

i have a 300gb hard drive that i tried to put inside my mac but cancelled the installation, i did format it using the software from the imac.. then i placed it in an external enclosure and connected it to my windows laptop but did not detect the drive but was detected when i connected it to my imac.. how can this be undone? i would like it to be an extra drive for my windows laptop.. ty:D

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
another question ,sorry.. :p

when i try to connect to our wifi network, this message appears: there was an error joining the selected airport network.. i'm really new to apple products so i don't have any idea how to solve this one.. help please? :eek: ty

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
thanks for the info..

another question:

i have a 300gb hard drive that i tried to put inside my mac but cancelled the installation, i did format it using the software from the imac.. then i placed it in an external enclosure and connected it to my windows laptop but did not detect the drive but was detected when i connected it to my imac.. how can this be undone? i would like it to be an extra drive for my windows laptop.. ty:D

You will need to reformat the drive to something native to Windows such as NTFS. If you go to the drive section under System Management in windows, you the drive should appear and allow you to format it.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
another question ,sorry.. :p

when i try to connect to our wifi network, this message appears: there was an error joining the selected airport network.. i'm really new to apple products so i don't have any idea how to solve this one.. help please? :eek: ty

Do you use WEP? A common problem with most iMac G4s I've encountered, on 10.3-10.5 (because pre-10.3 doesn't support WPA), is that they don't like routers using a WEP password; especially with Leopard – the connection will simply drop every few seconds.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
thanks for the info..

another question:

If you want to use this drive as external with win laptop and iMac, format it to FAT32. It will be recognized by both systems, only limit will be max size of single file. FAT32 has this limit at 4GB per file. OS X has no possibility to write on NTFS disks without third party drivers. By default, NTFS disks are read only form OS X.
If you want to use this HDD with windows laptop only, format it to NTFS, like one of previous posters did mention.

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
You will need to reformat the drive to something native to Windows such as NTFS. If you go to the drive section under System Management in windows, you the drive should appear and allow you to format it.

is device manager what you mean by the system management? the hdd appears there but there is no option to format it there unless i'm not in the right folder? :p

just like what 666sheep said, i'm gonna use this for both my mac and windows..

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Do you use WEP? A common problem with most iMac G4s I've encountered, on 10.3-10.5 (because pre-10.3 doesn't support WPA), is that they don't like routers using a WEP password; especially with Leopard – the connection will simply drop every few seconds.

i may have found a solution for this problem, buy an ethernet cable,, hehehe.. our wifi's signal won't even reach my room.. but i'm just wandering, in my windows sony laptop, the signal is 4/5 bars, and in my asus laptop is 3/5 bars.. but my imac can't pick up any, why is this?:eek: is there anyway to increase my imacs ability to recieve signal? :confused: and moving my router is no an easy option..

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
i just have so many questions, sorry.. hehe..

1. i was planning to make this as the computer that does all my downloading but i'm having some issues:
1.1 i want to download torrents but can i do that using a mac os x 10.4? i tried the utorrent but one requirement is a 10.5.. any other torrent downloaders i can use?
1.2 i have tried playing a movie i downloaded but it won't play in quicktime,, any other players i can use? i tried downloading some players but still required a 10.5

2. my browser is somewhat "laggy", sluggish, what can i do to stop everything that requires flash?

3. are there any tricks out there i could use to maximize my use of this equipment? :p

:D:D:D:D:D:D thanks

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
i just have so many questions, sorry.. hehe..

1. i was planning to make this as the computer that does all my downloading but i'm having some issues:
1.1 i want to download torrents but can i do that using a mac os x 10.4? i tried the utorrent but one requirement is a 10.5.. any other torrent downloaders i can use?
1.2 i have tried playing a movie i downloaded but it won't play in quicktime,, any other players i can use? i tried downloading some players but still required a 10.5

2. my browser is somewhat "laggy", sluggish, what can i do to stop everything that requires flash?

3. are there any tricks out there i could use to maximize my use of this equipment? :p

:D:D:D:D:D:D thanks

1. Transmission, I believe, is the best torrent client under OS X.
2. Install ClickToFlash http://clicktoflash.com/ and that should sort out problems (if you're using Safari).
3. Maximise your use... I'm not sure what you mean there, but I assume you mean "get the most out of it", and that depends on how you use it, and what you want to do with it. If you want to optimise and maintain your Mac, I suggest you take a look at OnyX or Cocktail.

As for the ethernet thing, that should work fine (if you need help just Google how to set up a internet-sharing ethernet connection), and maybe try toggling "Interference Robustness" under the AirPort menu item – my G4 has it, so I assume yours does too.

OnyX - http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english/apps.html
Cocktail - http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/download.php
Transmission for Tiger and lower - https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/PreviousReleases

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
1. Transmission, I believe, is the best torrent client under OS X.
2. Install ClickToFlash http://clicktoflash.com/ and that should sort out problems (if you're using Safari).
3. Maximise your use... I'm not sure what you mean there, but I assume you mean "get the most out of it", and that depends on how you use it, and what you want to do with it. If you want to optimise and maintain your Mac, I suggest you take a look at OnyX or Cocktail.

As for the ethernet thing, that should work fine (if you need help just Google how to set up a internet-sharing ethernet connection), and maybe try toggling "Interference Robustness" under the AirPort menu item – my G4 has it, so I assume yours does too.

i have done what all you've suggested.. now my problem is how i play the downloaded torrent movies.. quicktime player doesn't really plays it, and i tried updating it, but needs a 10.5 O.S.. maybe i need to update codecs?(used in windows, i don't know what it's called in macs).. a link to update my quicktime player would be nice.. :p
or i just need to download another player? and what is it and where can i download it? thanks so much..:D

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
i'm enjoying this imac especially when i watch a movie in full screen.. :p how good will it be like if my imac was a 20"? must be very great watching movies in a bigger screen.. :D;)

question: i had this crazy idea of putting a sata hard drive in this mac, is is possible? as you know, sata drives are cheaper compared to ide drives and bigger drive space too.. i've looked at ebay for some adapter type thing but i don't know if it will fit inside the dome.. any ideas on this? trhanks.. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.