Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sugarshane0321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I purchased this computer about a year ago. I have never had any problems until after i upped the memory. But i did not happen instantly. I bought the memory from OWC and Ramjet. It took about a month for the computer to start acting up. It turns off all the time by itself. I can be on it all day or just turning it on. i set it up to turn on automatically after power failure. Today I ran it for four hours before it turned off. Now since i got home from work it, has turned off and on every minute for the past hour. Can someone give me an answer or help on why this happens.

Thanks

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Did you upgrade the memory on the inner slot on the logic board? Sounds like you didn't clean and apply new thermal paste to the heatsinks once you took it apart. Or did you just upgrade the memory in the "user-serviceable" slot on the bottom? The iMac G4s had 2 memory slots, one was user-serviceable on the bottom and uses a sodimm laptop memory module while the internal one on the logic board slot was a full sized desktop dimm.

So it sounds like it's overheating and shutting itself off. If it were bad memory, you would get a kernal panic displaying a black screen with a message to hold down the power button to restart.

Buy some Arctic Silver thermal paste and apply to all the contacts inside. Here's a guide to help you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.