Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
So i was wondering just for the sake of asking. Does anyone think i should buy a G4 lamp on eBay. I would Probably get a 17" or 20" 1.25Ghz model.

It would only function as a collectors item and for electronics experiments.

(Possibly installing a Mac Mini inside although i am not sure if it is possible to attach the screen)

Is it worth it?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

You understand that you really cannot do both, right? if you start modding it, its days as a collectors' item are over.

That being said, if you want it, why not? I personally don't care for them, but you seem to like the design, which I guess would be the most obvious issue.... Just shop around and don't bite at an overpriced one.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
You understand that you really cannot do both, right? if you start modding it, its days as a collectors' item are over.

That being said, if you want it, why not? I personally don't care for them, but you seem to like the design, which I guess would be the most obvious issue.... Just shop around and don't bite at an overpriced one.

i mean collectors like for the style and the design personally i think the insides are crap (not at the time but they are now)and it would be slow as hell.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
So i was wondering just for the sake of asking. Does anyone think i should buy a G4 lamp on eBay. I would Probably get a 17" or 20" 1.25Ghz model.

(Possibly installing a Mac Mini inside although i am not sure if it is possible to attach the screen)

Is it worth it?

It is worth it from a design standpoint, and in my experience the only Mac I've owned previously is my iBook G4, and 80% of all Macs I use or have used are PPC. I know the speeds and things they're capable of and frankly don't need the Intel machines that I would pay 3 - 4 times more for if gotten new.

I just got my iMac G4 off eBay for $298 at a Buy It Now price and it looks brand new and functions as such. It has Leopard and let me tell you it's faster than my Tiger iBook at 1.33ghz with it's smaller 1.25ghz and same 512mb Ram. I surf the web and do school work and like music, and it will be the home of my iPhone after I get an Airport card for it.

I personally would never bid over $350 for one of these machines until someone works out that Mini idea. It is though a technical impossibility thus far, as the screen will NOT connect with any parts found in the iMac or Mini. If you're really big into circuitry you may find some workaround, but not one person has yet. In the end, if you do get a Mini in the base, and the screen doesn't work, you'd need an external monitor. In the end, you just sacrificed time money and effort doing something ergonomically awkward.

The new or used Intel Mini is now sitting inside a dome shaped base (with or without a useless LCD), and the external and all the components are hooked up to an iDome. It would be better to leave the Mini be and not waste all that.

To answer your question about is it worth it - just a few things for you to think about. Apple is going to drop PPC support someday supposedly soon - a year or 2 down the road. So even basic updates may stop coming your way. The machine isn't deadly slow, but it isn't screaming fast - I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend that those with blood pressure issues try to use iMovie or iDVD on a daily basis. I have iBook and a souped up HP tower with Vista and XP on 2 hard drives, and all my media is on there, and I use that for heavy lifting. So owning the iMac is basically my luxury lust machine. It is my favorite computer of all time, especially from a design standpoint, and I'm very glad I can now call myself an owner of one.

Bottom line - keep it cheap. Don't pay more than $400 overall for one of these computers. Don't expect the latest and greatest in software to come easily if at all, and remember that it's a 1.25ghz PPC, so don't rely on it for graphics. For basic daily use it is an ideal machine, combining practicality and ease-of-use in 1 little space saving design, as the arm allows the screen to go farther than any screen has gone before. For the price, I would say it is well worth the money. Maybe upgrade the Ram and use an external to back up things or store what you don't need every day. Other than that, it's a great computer.

Sorry that was so long - I'm passionate about this machine. :)

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
It is worth it from a design standpoint, and in my experience the only Mac I've owned previously is my iBook G4, and 80% of all Macs I use or have used are PPC. I know the speeds and things they're capable of and frankly don't need the Intel machines that I would pay 3 - 4 times more for if gotten new.

I just got my iMac G4 off eBay for $298 at a Buy It Now price and it looks brand new and functions as such. It has Leopard and let me tell you it's faster than my Tiger iBook at 1.33ghz with it's smaller 1.25ghz and same 512mb Ram. I surf the web and do school work and like music, and it will be the home of my iPhone after I get an Airport card for it.

I personally would never bid over $350 for one of these machines until someone works out that Mini idea. It is though a technical impossibility thus far, as the screen will NOT connect with any parts found in the iMac or Mini. If you're really big into circuitry you may find some workaround, but not one person has yet. In the end, if you do get a Mini in the base, and the screen doesn't work, you'd need an external monitor. In the end, you just sacrificed time money and effort doing something ergonomically awkward.

The new or used Intel Mini is now sitting inside a dome shaped base (with or without a useless LCD), and the external and all the components are hooked up to an iDome. It would be better to leave the Mini be and not waste all that.

To answer your question about is it worth it - just a few things for you to think about. Apple is going to drop PPC support someday supposedly soon - a year or 2 down the road. So even basic updates may stop coming your way. The machine isn't deadly slow, but it isn't screaming fast - I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend that those with blood pressure issues try to use iMovie or iDVD on a daily basis. I have iBook and a souped up HP tower with Vista and XP on 2 hard drives, and all my media is on there, and I use that for heavy lifting. So owning the iMac is basically my luxury lust machine. It is my favorite computer of all time, especially from a design standpoint, and I'm very glad I can now call myself an owner of one.

Bottom line - keep it cheap. Don't pay more than $400 overall for one of these computers. Don't expect the latest and greatest in software to come easily if at all, and remember that it's a 1.25ghz PPC, so don't rely on it for graphics. For basic daily use it is an ideal machine, combining practicality and ease-of-use in 1 little space saving design, as the arm allows the screen to go farther than any screen has gone before. For the price, I would say it is well worth the money. Maybe upgrade the Ram and use an external to back up things or store what you don't need every day. Other than that, it's a great computer.

Sorry that was so long - I'm passionate about this machine. :)

I feel the same way about the design. I will have to google some pics of the wiring and see if there is anything i can try to get the mini idea to work (possibly using a new display)

LordOfTheMacs

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
New Jersey
Unless your ''experiments'', require a 1.25 ghz processor (i.e. Leopard tests") do your wallet a favor by getting a slightly slower processor.:) Gotta agree with you though, that is a BEAUTIFUL machine.:D I was going to get one but got an iMac G5 instead, which I love.:apple::apple:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Buy it if you like the industrial design, which was unique and superb -- but please, please don't call it the "lamp." It's the iMac G4, and there was only the one design for the iMac G4.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I had the 17" 800Mhz version. I gave it away a few weeks ago to a colleague who always wanted a Mac.

I don't think you'll get a Mini's internal installed in there. In order to dissipate heat, they ran heat tubes across, then interfaced to a huge heatsink in the dome. There's really very little airflow in that design, due to the lack of room due to the hard drive and optical unit.

EDIT: Follow IJ's advice. It's not a lamp.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Buy it if you like the industrial design, which was unique and superb -- but please, please don't call it the "lamp." It's the iMac G4, and there was only the one design for the iMac G4.

sorry every one i know calls it the lamp

-----------
So i have a new idea:
~I can buy a 17" MBP and a 17" iMac and put the MBP in the iMac using the MBP's screen

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
sorry every one i know calls it the lamp

-----------
So i have a new idea:
~I can buy a 17" MBP and a 17" iMac and put the MBP in the iMac using the MBP's screen

Bad idea, and who are those people calling it a lamp? Windows users? ;)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
y is it bad?

yeah some are Windows users :eek:

Think you will be cutting boards and having to remove the optical drive to get it to work. That's a poor choice of words on my part. I think it's going to be a tough thing to do, and will likely end up in a ruined state with 2 good displays.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Think you will be cutting boards and having to remove the optical drive to get it to work. That's a poor choice of words on my part. I think it's going to be a tough thing to do, and will likely end up in a ruined state with 2 good displays.

yeah and i think the MBP Logic board is too big anyway

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
It's referred to as Luxo and iLamp becuase of it's striking resemblance to a certain little desk lamp in a Pixar short, specifically it's base / arm / output of the screen, or light. I've also heard that it may or may not have been inspired by a Sunflower as well.

It's like saying iTouch. Nothing is meant by it, some people just choose to be overly correct. We call the things we like by nicknames because we like them that much. The Air, iLamp, iTouch, etc. It's preference, not wrong versus right. Some people are so unnecessarily uptight.

The funnest iPod ever, Apple says. Why don't people pick on them more for that? That isn't necessarily correct.

The iMac G4 was and is that good of a machine - it gets its own nickname and as far as I'm concerned, a bit of a cult following. Not many old computers are still hunted down for aesthetics, 5 years after the last one was made. Of those that are, few if not none are still as practical.

Edit: That's not a bad idea - using a laptop to be sure the display is already set to work with the internals, but then I have to say nay because of the size of the board itself. Cutting it isn't necessarily the best option. The one in the iMac is a very organized disc shape. The layout of the laptop may not allow for anything to be cut anyway, without a good bit of soldering. I do say, I've never heard that consideration before - only Mini to iMac. Creative thinkers rock.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's like saying iTouch. Nothing is meant by it, some people just choose to be overly correct. We call the things we like by nicknames because we like them that much. The Air, iLamp, iTouch, etc. It's preference, not wrong versus right. Some people are so unnecessarily uptight.

I'm not familiar with the concept of being "overly correct." Does that mean it's better to always be a little wrong?

FWIW, this "nickname" came into use when the iMac G4 was released, mainly in a derogatory fashion by people who hated Apple and every product they made. It's not so long ago that I can't remember how much venom was spewed at Apple with virtually every new product they released. The iMac G4 was called the "lamp" by people who thought it was too weird to be called a computer. They called it that to make fun of it. It wasn't an affectionate nickname at all.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
It's referred to as Luxo and iLamp becuase of it's striking resemblance to a certain little desk lamp in a Pixar short, specifically it's base / arm / output of the screen, or light. I've also heard that it may or may not have been inspired by a Sunflower as well.

The funnest iPod ever, Apple says. Why don't people pick on them more for that? That isn't necessarily correct.

The iMac G4 was and is that good of a machine - it gets its own nickname and as far as I'm concerned, a bit of a cult following. Not many old computers are still hunted down for aesthetics, 5 years after the last one was made. Of those that are, few if not none are still as practical.

Edit: That's not a bad idea - using a laptop to be sure the display is already set to work with the internals, but then I have to say nay because of the size of the board itself. Cutting it isn't necessarily the best option. The one in the iMac is a very organized disc shape. The layout of the laptop may not allow for anything to be cut anyway, without a good bit of soldering. I do say, I've never heard that consideration before - only Mini to iMac. Creative thinkers rock.

The funny thing is i am one of those people who cant stand "iTouch"

anyway

Yeah i think the Mini is my best bet it is only a little over 9" across and the iMac base is 10.6" so i think it would be what i need for size but the screen is the big problem. My MacBook seems to have a similar connector to the iMac but i am not sure

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.