Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneoftheelect

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Toronto
I was following another thread in which a guy performed that feat. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/224698/

You have the right idea for the touchscreen kit. You gotta put it over the lcd panel- either under the bezel for a cleaner look, or even over it if you want to make it an easy installation.
I'm debating whether its worth it.

And yes, for me flash is a extremely slow. Maybe flash 10.1 will make a difference...but I'm not holding my breath. (For youtube i'd recommend turning on their 'html5' beta setting, MUCH easier on the cpu)

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Just finished the 'external' and the internal RAM upgrade. I maxed it out with a total of 2GB RAM. I also replaced the PMU battery while I was at it.

Can anyone comment on the 20" panel swap? -Does it need to be the original part or could I replace it with a different 20" panel of the same size?

Also what kind of HDD goes in the iMac G4? 2.5" IDE? Any specific height?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Just finished the 'external' and the internal RAM upgrade. I maxed it out with a total of 2GB RAM. I also replaced the PMU battery while I was at it.

Can anyone comment on the 20" panel swap? -Does it need to be the original part or could I replace it with a different 20" panel of the same size?

Also what kind of HDD goes in the iMac G4? 2.5" IDE? Any specific height?

I believe the panel needs to be an original part. Using any other type of monitor might give you problems since you will need to reroute the cables through the gooseneck which is a pain to take apart and there's only limited space. I believe there are some threads on this topic, just try a search.

IMac G4s use 3.5" IDE/ATA drives.

fairbanx

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Germany
Hello, I'm a long-time reader, now first-time writer:

I still have an iMac G4 17" 800 Mhz in use (beside my MBPro). What is your opinion? I wonder, if I can change the orig. logicboard, with the iMac G4 20" logicboard (1.25 GHZ). Does this cause any problems with the vidcard or lcd-resoultion? There are also refurbished 17" (1GHZ) logicboards on ebay. May these ones are better?

--
edit: I read some minutes ago in an ebay-auction, that the 1GHZ/1.25GHZ logicboards are not compatible, with the 800 MHZ, because of the wiring!? I wonder, if there's a way to manage that?
--

Thanks for your replies!

oneoftheelect

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Toronto
I ordered the touchscreen kit, and am waiting for it to arrive. I'll update how things turn out, if anyone is interested.

And sorry fairbanx, I don't know about anything about switching the logicboard, but good luck with that- definitely interested to hear if you figure that one out.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
I ordered the touchscreen kit, and am waiting for it to arrive. I'll update how things turn out, if anyone is interested.

And sorry fairbanx, I don't know about anything about switching the logicboard, but good luck with that- definitely interested to hear if you figure that one out.

any news? :eek:

edit: I noticed that my screen also has a slight red tinge in the top left and top right corners and when the screen is black (like when frontrow is being used), it the black background looks red-ish when looked at from the side. What does this mean?

oneoftheelect

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Toronto
just received the touch screen kit this weekend in the mail. Not too bad; 7 business days.

I don't have time to start the project, but I will update once midterms are over, and I can get to it.

And, not sure what the red tinge means....though when im in frontrow i notice the side edges of the screen are all brighter, though i've seen this in many lcd's.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
that touch kit looks freakin awesome! When I find a iMac g4 im getting one of those. Actually wonder if that would work in place of the crt in a iMac g3....:confused:

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
just received the touch screen kit this weekend in the mail. Not too bad; 7 business days.

I don't have time to start the project, but I will update once midterms are over, and I can get to it.

Sweet, keep us posted. Which seller did you actually buy from? (I assume you bought it on eBay.) I really want to try one of those kits on something (preferably crappy! :D)

poobah

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Hello, I'm a long-time reader, now first-time writer:

I still have an iMac G4 17" 800 Mhz in use (beside my MBPro). What is your opinion? I wonder, if I can change the orig. logicboard, with the iMac G4 20" logicboard (1.25 GHZ). Does this cause any problems with the vidcard or lcd-resoultion? There are also refurbished 17" (1GHZ) logicboards on ebay. May these ones are better?

--
edit: I read some minutes ago in an ebay-auction, that the 1GHZ/1.25GHZ logicboards are not compatible, with the 800 MHZ, because of the wiring!? I wonder, if there's a way to manage that?
--

Thanks for your replies!

The 1GHz+ G4 boards are quite a bit different from the slower ones (different connectors, RAM, etc). They are 2 different breeds.

rodti

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
Touchscreen iMac G4

I've just picked up a 17" iMac G4 and fancy doing the touchscreen mod. I'll check out those panels from race-buy on eBay. Would be nice to hear any tips you guys have.

oneoftheelect

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Toronto
So I had some spare time this weekend, and I got started on the project (this is going to be a bit of a long post and image heavy...sorry! :D)
y2SUzl.jpg

I had considered just putting the touch screen over the entire lcd+bezel and then getting a matte shaped like the white bezel to go on top. I decided against this- i wanted to preserve/showcase the imac as much as possible.
bHL2xl.jpg

I followed the iMac g4 service manual guide to take apart the screen's unit.
It's not too difficult to get the lcd by itself, though i'd recommend going slowly.
jyf2il.jpg

Theres especially one part, where the manual warns about breaking a ferrite bead that is on the video connector. It really is pretty fragile - I broke it.
3Uy8Jl.jpg

After securing the lcd unit by itself, I thought the front bezel (the white rim which has the "iMac" written on it) would simply be able to be unscrewed from it. Unfortunately, thats not how the bezel is joined: instead, its glue and more importantly, plastic tabs that are hardened/connected onto the lcd's unit.
vDhLcl.jpg

You have to break the tabs to get the bezel free from the lcd. I used a small credit card to slip inbetween the bezel and the lcd unit, sliding it along, and using it as leverage to 'pop' the tabs off.
oJSICl.jpg

Ue03Ol.jpg

x5aeAl.jpg

From there i referenced this site's guide to the touchscreen installation: http://www.cyclotouch.com.au//installation.php
(it was the exact same kit components (for the most part) too...must be manufactured from the same place)

After cleaning the lcd, i placed the touchscreen on top. I didn't bother using double-sided tape here, as the glue left behind (to attach to the bezel) was still strong enough to hold it well (also, less bulk).
MUXJMl.jpg

The wire for the touch screen comes out the left side of the screen....I suppose I could pass it through the neck of the mac, but to be honest, that is far more work than I bargained for- and the neck is not easy to work with at all.

I sanded down the tabs on the bezel, put double-sided tape on the back of it, and stuck it to the touchscreen after testing it out.
a0YDgl.jpg

Of course, with the added bulk of the touch screen, there are a few sacrifices.
1) Something I wasn't aware would happen/didn't even think of: the weight of the lcd is so precisely tuned for the neck... This means I can only keep the lcd in the top most position, or it must stay at the bottom- it cannot be held inbetween, it will slide down (and if placed high enough will crash down).
2) There is a space between the front bezel and the clear siding/lcd....I plan to place a matte around the edges of the bezel to keep dust out and for a cleaner look.

Notes: I had to go searching for the correct driver, the one provided kept crashing on the calibration: i found the right one here:http://touchkit.com/Drivers.htm (I used the Mac osx driver version 1.0.8.4226)

I had Leopard installed first...I wanted the touchscreen to work with frontrow (since i'm using this as a semi-jukebox)...but there is absolutely no support whatsoever, so my second choice is xbmc, which runs alot smoother on tiger (for me), so I reinstalled tiger (which is a bit zippier anyway).

Theres only really one skin that works well with xbmc for touchscreen at the moment (that I've found), and its the new default, 'Confluence', since it has the back buttons for easy navigation use. However, the skin does not look the greatest on a 4:3 display.
So, i'm still looking for solutions here. In the meantime i'm using itunes, and I love that when I come home it can see/share my macbook's library(which would be perfect for jukebox use, except theres no coverflow over a network)

Sorry! I don't have pictures of the finished unit besides this crappy pic taken with my phone in low light.
7710Al.jpg

I'll get back to the project in another few weeks (and hopefully add a few videos). Please, feel free to give some advice/suggestions, or ask questions! This is my first time doing a project like this, and it was/is really quite fun and rewarding.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
So I had some spare time this weekend, and I got started on the project (this is going to be a bit of a long post and image heavy...sorry! :D)

**snip**

I'll get back to the project in another few weeks (and hopefully add a few videos). Please, feel free to give some advice/suggestions, or ask questions! This is my first time doing a project like this, and it was/is really quite fun and rewarding.

Awesome! I would however strongly suggest you start a new thread of your own with this great work along with a catchy title. That way you will get maximum exposure from this site along with people who google for this sort of thing.

Great work and keep us posted!

danfog

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
I know I'm starting on an old post but here goes!

I've got a hand-me-down iMac G4 which is pretty top spec:
1.25GHz G4
80GB HDD
256mb RAM (defo doing something about that!)
20" Display

At the moment I've got it sat at the bottom of my bed running EyeTV and a nifty piece of shareware called iSleep (turns off/sleeps after however long). It's a great set up and perfect for the job, but I was wondering what the best way is to get it to run more quietly/cooler? I know that running EyeTV is no mean feat for a computer of this age but if I buy a gig stick to go on the external port will it make much of a difference? Also, has anyone had any luck with installing an IR sensor? I'd really like to use the Apple remote with it rather than Rowmote on my iPhone.

Thanks in advance :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.