Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GetToDaChopa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
Did you know that your iMac G4 has a built in lamp? no not really, but ive put one in, that kinda works as a lamp. I can turn it off and adjust the brightness and change the colour. I did this before but recently got a led strip with remote that you can change the colour on. Here are some examples (the lighting in the room is terrible so sorry for poor photos):

DSC03452.JPG

IMG_8237.JPG

IMG_8238.JPG

DSC03463.JPG

Believe it or not it was a VERY tight fit putting all that in there but because there is an SSD there was some room to fit the cables and bits. Also i moved the speaker up (the sound is better that way) so that was in the way as well.

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

If you want more information on this let me know

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
nice, back when apple machines has real draw to them.

These mac always had my attention and looked amazing.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Thats a great mod! There just aren't many people doing stuff like this anymore. 15 years ago Applefritter.com was full of this kind of thing!

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
The photos look great, I don't think the lighting is terrible. Anyway, great job! It looks amazing. May I ask how you change the color and brightness? That doesn't require disassembly, does it?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
The photos look great, I don't think the lighting is terrible. Anyway, great job! It looks amazing. May I ask how you change the color and brightness? That doesn't require disassembly, does it?
He probably has an IR remote that controls it. Every RGB box on Amazon features one of those.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
It would be really cool if we could somehow attach it to the iMac via USB, write the drivers, and control it through software. Might be hard, but it would be really cool. 0 chance of someone doing that, though.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
It would be really cool if we could somehow attach it to the iMac via USB, write the drivers, and control it through software. Might be hard, but it would be really cool. 0 chance of someone doing that, though.
Theoretically, if you had an Arduino micro controlling the LEDs (not hard) you could attach that via USB and write a program to listen for serial commands. Then, write a bash script to write to the USB serial port for the Arduino. Not terribly hard, just requires some know-how.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
This is really cool! About a year ago I think, my dad gave me some led light strips that fit pretty well underneath the iMac G3 "foot", but I haven't had them set up in a while. I should get that going again and post some photos as well. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.