Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I've been helping a friend set up her new iMac G5 for the past five days and there's a problem that I have yet to solve. She still uses AOL for her Internet connection, so I installed AOL on her iMac. I was hoping all would be well at that point, but it turns out AOL cannot make a connection with the modem at any point. I've gone through and checked all the settings, but I just can't figure it out. Here's what the computer is doing:

1) Modem dials to phone number.
2) Modem makes a connection to the phone number, but doesn't finish the commands sent from the AOL phone number.
3) Connection fails for whatever reason.

The modem has once or twice made a connection to the phone number, but at 4800 bps, which is horribly slow. When it did make this connection, it would almost instantly lose the connection.

I have also noticed that the modem makes three pings during the connection process and I don't know what these mean. Could it be a error or something else?

Thanks in advance. I've been working on this problem for days and I haven't figured it out yet. Thought it would be better to try to get help here rather than call AOL and deal with their tech support.

iMac G5, Apple Internal Modem 56k v.92, AOL

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Warbrain said:
I've been helping a friend set up her new iMac G5 for the past five days and there's a problem that I have yet to solve. She still uses AOL for her Internet connection, so I installed AOL on her iMac. I was hoping all would be well at that point, but it turns out AOL cannot make a connection with the modem at any point. I've gone through and checked all the settings, but I just can't figure it out. Here's what the computer is doing:

1) Modem dials to phone number.
2) Modem makes a connection to the phone number, but doesn't finish the commands sent from the AOL phone number.
3) Connection fails for whatever reason.

The modem has once or twice made a connection to the phone number, but at 4800 bps, which is horribly slow. When it did make this connection, it would almost instantly lose the connection.

I have also noticed that the modem makes three pings during the connection process and I don't know what these mean. Could it be a error or something else?

Thanks in advance. I've been working on this problem for days and I haven't figured it out yet. Thought it would be better to try to get help here rather than call AOL and deal with their tech support.

iMac G5, Apple Internal Modem 56k v.92, AOL

Is it being plugged into the same phone line that the PC was plugged into? (I assume she had a PC, if not you get the question).

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
ITASOR said:
Is it being plugged into the same phone line that the PC was plugged into? (I assume she had a PC, if not you get the question).

Yes, it is plugged into the same phone jack as her PC was six months ago and my Powerbook for the past six months. We know the phone jack and line in the house works fine, so that means it could be the phone line that came with her iMac that could be causing the problems. I'm checking that tomorrow as I've never come prepared with an extra cable to see if that was the case. But I still think that there may be a setting that I don't about or haven't checked yet as I haven't dealt much with Tiger since I haven't updated yet, but will be soon.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Daveway said:
I would call AOL, but only because it sounds like it might be their server rejecting you.

That's the plan if I don't get it to work by tomorrow afternoon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.