Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
My mother just bought a refurb iMac G5 from apple.com and got it earlier this week. I came over today to hook it up and get everything running but when I hooked it all up it won't boot.

I turn it on, and it makes three loud beeps, then the fan goes on full blast, and the sleep light flashes on and off forever all the while the screen is blank.

I manually turn off the iMac via power button, and turn it back on to reset the PRAM (CMD, option, P, R) I do this a few times, and still nothing. I open up the iMac and swap the 512MB stick to the other slot, still nothing. I've read this could be a RAM problem? Is it not recognizing my RAM perhaps, I sadly don't have any other sticks to test it with.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It does sound like a RAM problem at first. Try to start up off the OSX DVD. I'd be interested to see if it gets any further than starting from the regular hard drive. If you do manage to get in you may as well repair the start up disk using Disk Utility. :)

tag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks for the input, sadly though it wouldn't even accept cds, since it wouldn't even boot up. Got it to the apple store a few hours ago, was just bad RAM that was included with it. So I luckly got it all sorted out within a few hours with a quick replacement of the RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.