Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BCulp543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Here are the specs for my particular iMac:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-g5-2/4507-3118_7-31355787.html?tag=mncol;psum

Now, here is my problem.

everything had been running fine for years now. and one day I went to restart it because it was running a bit slow. it shows some strange symbol (being a folder with a question mark in it) followed by the smiling square symbol, which before that time i had never seen before. After that it then booted up normally. The next reboot I did, nothing happend. wont boot up at all.

Now I am sure there is more information that anyone who can help me fix this problem would need so youll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic.

Basically I am trying to narrow down the issues, which hopefully not to come to the conclusion that it is not the logic board as I am suspecting it is after a few other things I have read.

------------
Now. I got it to power up (via the power button on the inside of the computer, stayed on for about a day then went to use it and it was off and same problem, the computer died out again. cant get it to turn on with the normal power button nor the one inside the computer. Should I expect the Motherboard? or perhaps something else? Id take it in to apple but if its something I can diagnose with the help of some of you and fix myself, it would be much more economical seeing that I am a struggling student.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The folder with a question mark on it means the computer is looking for, or can't find the startup disk. Though I've never seen the smily face before.

Tell me, when you tried to start up and it didn't work, did you see the grey screen, the boot chime, and/or the folder with the question mark?

By the way, that dot you did is bumping your post, making it go to the top, with the post adding no info or value. That is against the rules, please don't do it.

Cheers!

BCulp543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
the dot wasnt to bump the post..i wrote something else and decided to erase it. however, at this points nothing happens anymore. when I press the power button it makes a very slight noise and does nothing. the backlight doesnt come on, it just makes a very faint noise as if it were trying to boot up but cant, also the #1 LED light on in the inside on the motherboard and only the #1 light

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
iMac G5 often had bad caps.
Search the web for iMac G5 cap replacement and you'll find instructions.
Hope you'll like to solder :D

BCulp543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
iMac G5 often had bad caps.
Search the web for iMac G5 cap replacement and you'll find instructions.
Hope you'll like to solder :D

uh oh. I dont but i know some people who do...im not precise enough for soldering on anything computer related.

any idea, roughly, what this might cost at apple or an independent repair shop?

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008

I had the same problem and I didn't even bother to find out the cost.

I got my iMac G5 in Sept '04 when they were first released, and I figured that the death of my G5 was just Apple's way of letting me know it was time to buy a shiny new 27" iMac.

:cool:

capecod565

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Cape Cod
I had a similar problem with my 20 inch G5. It blew 4 power supplies and 4 motherboards, though the symptoms were different each time.
Luckily I had bought AppleCare and the 4th time it happened, Apple extended my warrantee for another 6 months.
Also lucky for me, there is a tiny independent Mac store here in our little town, and they fixed it for me for nothing, Apple paid for all 4 powersupplies and motherboards.
Then I got the Kernal Panic screen:eek:
and my warrantee had expired. My little store diagnosed it, and I got on the phone with the Apple Tech reps, took several days and many conversations, but they sent me this lovely brand new iMac with a 24 inch screen.
This issue with the powersupplies and motherboards was a 'known issue' for some iMacs within a certain serial number range.
I was in the store yesterday and looking, well, I should say, drooling at the new 27 inch iMacs.
Jane

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
uh oh. I dont but i know some people who do...im not precise enough for soldering on anything computer related.

Replacement caps are $25 and apple will probably charge $800 for a new mobo, since they don't solder.

Check this link: http://jimwarholic.com/2008/07/how-to-repair-apple-imac-g5.php

Look at pics and see if your caps are bulging or leaking, it's easy to see

BCulp543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Replacement caps are $25 and apple will probably charge $800 for a new mobo, since they don't solder.

Check this link: http://jimwarholic.com/2008/07/how-to-repair-apple-imac-g5.php

Look at pics and see if your caps are bulging or leaking, it's easy to see

the caps all appear to be normal. Im not sure if photos will do any justice. but maybe youll see anything I dont.

::::::edit::::::
heres a few more
SANY0045-1.jpg

SANY0046.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0044.JPG
    SANY0044.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.