Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
If they have made it this long then they aren't going to fail any time soon. Provided you watch out for the signs, they should be fine.

They can fail at anytime, thats the problem. You will see signs before it completely bite the dust, but if not taken care of ASAP the damage could be irreversible and it could need a whole new board.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
What I was pointing out is that if they were made with the really defective capacitors they would have failed already. Since they are now running in 2014, that means that they have about 10 years on them. Now caps die from regular usage, but the defective ones used by Apple and other manufactures generally failed after about 3-8 years.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
What I was pointing out is that if they were made with the really defective capacitors they would have failed already. Since they are now running in 2014, that means that they have about 10 years on them. Now caps die from regular usage, but the defective ones used by Apple and other manufactures generally failed after about 3-8 years.

Oh, I see what your saying :)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Same way if you had a G5 that did not leak yet. It would have leaked if the defective pump(s) were used. However since it did not, it will only ever leak because of wear and tear/normal use rather than a defect.

----------

I also would not worry about the iMacs. As long as they are watched over and looked at at least once a year they should be running for a while.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
the defective ones used by Apple and other manufactures generally failed after about 3-8 years.

Yes, generally. But there is still a HIGH chance of it happening. It could tomorrow, or 20 years from now. It will happen.

Same way if you had a G5 that did not leak yet. It would have leaked if the defective pump(s) were used. However since it did not, it will only ever leak because of wear and tear/normal use rather than a defect.

Same thing. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when in both cases.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Exactly. Unfortunately, the iMac G5 caps issue and the G5 coolant issues were not linked to a specific batch. Therefore you may have some that are defective, some not, some that are destined to fail tomorrow, and some that will run for the next ten years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.