Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rianne312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I need help fixing my new iMac intel. I did software updates as it looks for updates automatically, then i restarted as directed.... and it hasn't start up since, it turns on but it goes to a blue screen an stays there. If anyone knows what could be the problem and how it could be fixed...i'd greatly appreciate it....

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Here
truz said:
Fix was already found..

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/200039/

boot into safe mode by holding down the shift key until boot screen loads (can take 10 minutes)

go to system system preferences/ accounts/ login items

clear all items

open finder from dock / machintoshHD/ library/ startupitems
move all items to trash and empty

** Uninstall Adobe Version Cue **

then restart

##########################
Confirmed!!!!!! WORKS!!!!
########################

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
That's a bit misleading. The problem is caused by having PPC apps in StartupItems.

You need to remove any PPC apps from StartupItems (including Adobe Version Cue). Universal apps shouldn't cause any problems and don't need to be removed.

Edit: also, I don't think you have to uninstall PPC applications, just move them out of StartupItems until you restart.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
plinden said:
That's a bit misleading. The problem is caused by having PPC apps in StartupItems.

You need to remove any PPC apps from StartupItems (including Adobe Version Cue). Universal apps shouldn't cause any problems and don't need to be removed.

Edit: also, I don't think you have to uninstall PPC applications, just move them out of StartupItems until you restart.
Though Apple's first choice has always been to boot into safe mode when the machine hangs -- if it boots, it's almost always a conflict of some sort.

Won't always be limited to PPC apps as things move forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.