Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andya15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
Firstly, Hi all!! :)

Been thinking about a Imac for a while now, Have Iphone/Ipad and think there great, I currently use PS3 to store all my music / films & phots but its a pain using a my old windows xp pc & serviio to d/l to ps3 and create playlists etc from there. I'm thinking store everything on Itunes on the mac and use apple tv to play through my hifi system.

Is this what most people do or is there a better solution?

thanks for any help :)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Itunes and the AppleTV typically work very well for managing and listening to music and viewing your pictures. It works very well for video as well, with some big restrictions; primarily that everything must be imported into your iTunes library which limits the video types it will play back fairly strictly. If you are ok with that limitation, by all means, it's a good, cohesive system. If you have videos that are not in formats that iTunes cooperates with, it gets a bit trickier.

I've been using my iMac as the central house server for years now; it stores all of our music, photos and video. Video that I don't want to or can't add to iTunes get played back using AirVideo HD via Airplay to the AppleTV. This works very well, but it does require the extra step of getting an iOS device involved in the playback chain.

andya15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
Itunes and the AppleTV typically work very well for managing and listening to music and viewing your pictures. It works very well for video as well, with some big restrictions; primarily that everything must be imported into your iTunes library which limits the video types it will play back fairly strictly. If you are ok with that limitation, by all means, it's a good, cohesive system. If you have videos that are not in formats that iTunes cooperates with, it gets a bit trickier.

I've been using my iMac as the central house server for years now; it stores all of our music, photos and video. Video that I don't want to or can't add to iTunes get played back using AirVideo HD via Airplay to the AppleTV. This works very well, but it does require the extra step of getting an iOS device involved in the playback chain.

zhenya, thanks for the quick response, yeah I know vids can be a pain to play sometimes. I think I'll hard wire the apple tv with an ethernet cable and use the apple tv toslink to connect to the hifi, probably a lot better than wifi

Last edited by a moderator:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
That's how I have mine hooked up. HDMI to the TV, toslink to the stereo receiver, ethernet so I don't have any interference issues. The ATV is far from a perfect device, but used within its limits it provides the most polished experience of any media device on the market today.

andya15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
That's how I have mine hooked up. HDMI to the TV, toslink to the stereo receiver, ethernet so I don't have any interference issues. The ATV is far from a perfect device, but used within its limits it provides the most polished experience of any media device on the market today.

andya15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
I see the new apple tv has siri built in to it, that sounds pretty cool, siri play this, siri play that :)

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I see the new apple tv has siri built in to it, that sounds pretty cool, siri play this, siri play that :)
With due respect, what you are seeing is a rumor that the new ATV will have Siri integrated into it. Apple has not officially announced a new ATV nor have they released any data on one. Until a new ATV is released everything you read will be a rumor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.