Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forgiven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
Well, I currently have a powerbook G3 lombard with 320 ram///

I am going to buy a new tower after MWSF. I may buy a computer for my wife, who also needs one, but am considering fixing my laptop or investing in a new iMac

Do you think it is worth spending $400+ to fix the broken LCD screen (the only problem with it)...or is it something that will be pretty worthless after MWSF?? If the new LCD iMac is as good as people say it will be (G4 processor and a flat screen...somewhat portable) and that is going to be $999 or so for a base model, would it be more wise to invest my money toward that?

also, once they come out, how long before they ship? i don't want to wait a whole month to find out that they arent shipping at the end of that month. will demand be too high for it to be worth it?...is there anything worth waiting for in a new Tower or a new iMac (http://www.phasedreality.com/yourdailymac/) that doesn't exist in a G4 DP800??

thank you

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
This probably isn't much help, but the only way to know the answers to those questions is to wait until January. As you will no doubt have noticed, all the claims and counterclaims being made here are based on rumours and hopes/desires. Very little is hard fact. Having said that though, it does seem a little pointless refurbishing an older g3 laptop for $400 when in a few weeks' time there will possibly be something better out. Even if not, you could probably pick up a second hand model in pristine condition for little more than that. Don't expect both the G4 and LCD to be included in the iMac for under $1k though.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
too hard to say

It's always a bit too much to take in everything that's rumored around these sites. I usually like to sit back and watch the mayhem take place, then wait for the final release to see how much of it was all talk & how much was acurate.

I know it would make sense, given Apple's move to an all LCD display lineup, to see the new iMac with an LCD screen. However, I can't see it being as consumer-friendly on price, since LCD screens are so much more expensive and more problematic than CRT.

All that said, I'm going to sit back and watch the rumors fly and see what really happens at MWSF!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: too hard to say

I am sure that the new iMacs will use the G3 processors!! (Apple must stay with IBM and not Motorola)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.