Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ButWhyY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
My M1 2021 iMac's screen is acting weird.
The lower part of the screen is flickering since past few days.
Please refer the attachments.

Any idea what might be the reason.
Hardware or software issue?

I don't have AppleCare+ coverage either;
so, looking for an affordable solution to fix this problem.

Please advise, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 108

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
My M1 2021 iMac's screen is acting weird.
The lower part of the screen is flickering since past few days.
Please refer the attachments.

Any idea what might be the reason.
Hardware or software issue?

I don't have AppleCare+ coverage either;
so, looking for an affordable solution to fix this problem.

Please advise, thanks in advance.

View attachment 2365913
Looks like that thread from Apple forum. All M1 users having sudden vertical line after 2 years of ownership. Do a search there under iMac. Its a hardware failure not software from the consensus of people posting there.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

bryo

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2021
Looks like that thread from Apple forum. All M1 users having sudden vertical line after 2 years of ownership. Do a search there under iMac. Its a hardware failure not software from the consensus of people posting there.
Wow really? Is this just the m1 iMac in particular?

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Wow really? Is this just the m1 iMac in particular?
From what I can read there yes. So far just the M1. Doesn't matter what country, configuration, just M1 iMac around the 2 year mark is when it starts happening. I'm glad I have Apple care on my M3, because now I'm kinda worried the same thing may start happening to M3 iMacs within 2 years or so.

MacDi

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
I got an iMac (24”, M1, 2021) in July 2021 when it first came out, almost 3 years ago. It has been in daily use since; however, last week flickering black horizontal lines suddenly started appearing in the bottom half of the screen.

Even after restarting and updating, the annoying lines keep appearing on the screen, making it unusable. Turned the iMac off for a few days, but the problem persists. Apart from the screen, everything else is working as it should.

It’s very frustrating to use the iMac with these unnoticeable, irritating horizontal lines on the screen. It's such a disappointment to see this issue; without a cause, within such short time.

ButWhyY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
Got in touch with Apple Support; they asked me to take the backup of the Mac and start it in safe mode. Since the issue continued, I reinstalled macOS (Sonoma 14.4.1), but the problem persists.

Then Apple Support asked me to book a reservation at the Apple Store for their technician to check the iMac. They couldn’t check the price estimated for the screen repair. Of course I don't have AppleCare.

I am getting an inexpensive Samsung 1080p monitor and an Amazon USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. I’ll connect the external monitor and continue using the iMac with the lowest brightness.

Reactions: Andrey84

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
I think this is an issue related to the 7-core GPU iMacs vs the 8-core model.
One has one fan while the other has two.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I think this is an issue related to the 7-core GPU iMacs vs the 8-core model.
One has one fan while the other has two.
The users posting there also has the dual fan models having the same problem. Around the 2 year mark, the screens are failing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.