Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
The iMac has dual layer DVD burner, the MBP not (PB used to)
I think the MBP has digital audio in, the iMac not.
Otherwise, pretty similar

Remember, for a long time the iMac was G5, and the Powerbook only G4. So that they are similar is actually a big step up

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
It would be impossible to cram specs as good as the next Intel PowerMacs into a laptop without making it as large and unsightly as a Dell laptop...

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
n-abounds said:
It would be impossible to cram specs as good as the next Intel PowerMacs into a laptop without making it as large and unsightly as a Dell laptop...

And the fact that we have a machine equal to a desktop machine (and in some cases it is showing to be almost as good as the Dual G5 2.0) is also amazing. Essentially what we're seeing is that there is no real performance hit when going to a portable platform...which is downright amazing in my book.

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
HDD speed is slightly slower on MBP
and iMac doesn't have a PCI express slot.

but yes, they are the same beast, one on your desk, one on your lap.
which seems a little insane that the price jump is so massive...I mean, the iMac even comes with it's own screen too!

....ahh...the price of portability

although, I was pondering the other day (I often ponder)..
...the MBP is a pro machine...like the powerbook and powermac, but the iMac is not...like the iBook...so how come the iBook will become the Macbook...and the Macbook Pro is the top of the line Pro machine...even though it's specs are the same as a none pro machine...

hmmm

...*ponders*

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
kingjr3 said:
And the MBP doesn't :confused:

that was kinda my point...

usually I understand the price difference between desktop and laptop of the same specs, as the laptop includes it's own screen....but in this case..so does the iMac.

and yes, for the record i'm aware that the price hike is due to smaller parts and all sorts of gubbins, but it is a big price difference.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
I think of it as people who own Mac Minis are in the same class of consumers who would buy an iBook (Macbook). Then, people who buy iMacs are in the same class as those who buy Macbook Pros. They just choose between either the laptop or desktop based on needs of portability.

Power Macs are for the extremely high-end user who wants benefits that laptops can't provide- bigger HDDs, faster processors, more VRAM, better displays, more upgradeable, more RAM, more peripheral choices.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Don't forget, the MacBook Pro can be upgraded to be faster than the iMac in processor speed and to a 7200rpm hard drive.

Don't forget the backlit keyboard:p .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.