Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
So I recently got a iMac Mid-2007 20", and it has a Radeon HD 2600 Pro in it(the original card).

I learned that the iMacs have upgradable cards and used a MXM slot. The 2600 isn't the best card so I was wondering what's the highest I can go upto?

Would a 8800GS be the highest?(I also heard these fail more, taking apart an iMac is not fun :p)

I saw a Mac HD 6750m GDDR5 512mb which uses MXM as well, would this card work in the iMac?

Thanks

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Not and have a boot screen or brightness control. May also have to modify the heat sink to fit the new card. For the cost of the card a newer used imac can almost be purchased.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
Not and have a boot screen or brightness control. May also have to modify the heat sink to fit the new card. For the cost of the card a newer used imac can almost be purchased.
Ah okay, well boot screen is necessary to me/brightness. So I guess I'll scratch the 6750m.

I know I probably could purchase an new iMac but this is serving me well. I'm looking for ways to make it better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.