Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daMFmastermind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2021
Hows it going everybody. My Imac mid 2011 (27 inch) has been experiencing random fan noises/lines shooting directly down the center. Today when I try power on, it goes to the routine the apple loading screen then goes to a white screen - and thats it.

I tried a PRAM / SMC reset. It will not boot past the white screen.

I purchased this used in 2019 I’m unfamiliar with the history.

Could this be the GPU? or possibly the HD / RAM?

if it is the GPU, will this replacement work ?

NVIDIA QUADRO K1100M 2GB Video Card GPU :

side note :
I'm new to all of this, bare with me.

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 199

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Do you have a back up of your data or is the data important to keep?

lines shooting directly down the center.
This is a classic sign of a failing/failed GPU, but before you start troubleshooting that, maybe try some other things.

or possibly the HD
It could be a failed HDD. The HDDs in these are old, and tend to run hot, which some think is one of the reasons for the mass GPU failures.

Do you have another Mac or bootable back up?

Have you tried doing the HW diagnostic test? This will check the RAM, GPU, and other HW components.

Here is instructions here:

In my experience, Apple's HW diagnostic test tend to give false negatives, but if it does show there is a problem, chances are there is one.

Can you boot in recovery mode (command R) or internet recovery mode (Alt Command R)?

I think you should try doing the other stuff first before getting into potential GPU fixes/replacements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.