Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunty07

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Has anybody encountered this on imac

Mine is the iMac with M1 Chip. I have a line almost to the middle of the screen and a lines flickering at the bottom.

Is this a screen problem or can it be just software?

2ff1a335-188f-4fe4-9d62-15a19065e8a1.jpeg

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Looks like you have an external display attached to your M1 iMac as this picture is definitely not a picture of an iMac display. Is that display even an LCD?

Update .. maybe it is and the lighting is just weird... display looks recessed but on closer inspection... maybe not? I'm guessing it is an issue with the display itself. As @Jackbequickly suggests, try changing the resolution.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your image shows "Zoom" is open. That can control your screen, so you should quit Zoom to eliminate that as a possibility.
Check for other software by booting to your recovery system. If the problem exists in that basic system, then it's likely the display panel.
You could also attach an external display, to check that the graphics chip is NOT showing the same problem on another display.
Could be reasonable to try reseating the LCD connection cable, although that task is a little "inconvenient" 🪚

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Like DeltaMac said, reseat the cable. If the does not fix it, the video controller might be the culprit.

Keep us posted.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Has anybody encountered this on imac

Mine is the iMac with M1 Chip. I have a line almost to the middle of the screen and a lines flickering at the bottom.

Is this a screen problem or can it be just software?

View attachment 2316375

The LCD panel has failed. Time to replace it.
The repair shop in my city has just ordered a bunch of these LCD panels, to fix this problem.

Reactions: Andrey84

ButWhyY

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2024
Reactions: Andrey84

bunty07

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I tried everything except for the recommendation made by DeltaMac. No solution as yet.
Check out the thread on Apple.com community forum. All M1 users. All same issue. All had to get hardware repair. From that group of people it's determined to be hardware issue. Do you have AppleCare? It's going to need a hardware repair.

Reactions: picpicmac

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Check out the thread on Apple.com community forum."

What is the URL to find it?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
"Check out the thread on Apple.com community forum."

What is the URL to find it?

This one, I guess.

I think we can stop suggesting any software solutions to people with this issue.
It's simply an LCD panel issue, repairable by replacing the LCD panel itself.
Or you will have to leave with it by connecting an external display and turn off the internal one.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Shut down the Mac completely, then press & hold power until the startup options appear.

Do you see the line? If yes, definite hardware issue.

ButWhyY

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2024
I am getting an inexpensive Samsung 1080p monitor and an Amazon USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. I’ll connect the external monitor and continue using the iMac with the lowest brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.