Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyimjustjoshin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
i was wondering if i have to have a keyboard hooked up to my iMac for it to power on because when i press the power button i hear the monitor turn on but the light is orange the whole time.

btw the iMac is an origional bondi blue but has been upgraded to OS X Panther and has 195mb of ram.

i just need to know if i need a compadable mac keyboard or is there something actually wrong with my iMac

P.S. the tray loading cd rom doesnt open when i press the power button and the light is orange, i dunno if that helps. as you can see i am new at macs

P.P.S i just realized that i posted in the wrong section, and im sry

ok here it goes.....

got and origional Bondi Blue iMac, there have been some upgrades, ram is now up to 195mb and has OS X Panther installed but here is my problem or perhaps a simple solution. i havent used macs for about 7 years so i dont know anything about them anymore and i just got this one today, no keyboard or mouse just the system, and when i power on rather then a green light its just orange, i hear the monitor and the fan turn on but nothing pop up on the screen. so here is my question to you, do i need to buy a keyboard and mouse to get this mac to actually start up or do i have a bigger problem on my hands then what i was expecting?

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
I would guess that if nothing is on the screen that it is probably a bad sign. Of course I was PC person back then, so I probably don't know what i am talking about.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
heyimjustjoshin said:
ok here it goes.....

got and origional Bondi Blue iMac, there have been some upgrades, ram is now up to 195mb and has OS X Panther installed but here is my problem or perhaps a simple solution. i havent used macs for about 7 years so i dont know anything about them anymore and i just got this one today, no keyboard or mouse just the system, and when i power on rather then a green light its just orange, i hear the monitor and the fan turn on but nothing pop up on the screen. so here is my question to you, do i need to buy a keyboard and mouse to get this mac to actually start up or do i have a bigger problem on my hands then what i was expecting?
The screen should come on regardless of whether there is a keyboard or mouse plugged in. If it's not the screen brightness or something simple, I would guess that there's something wrong.

heyimjustjoshin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
me_94501 said:
The screen should come on regardless of whether there is a keyboard or mouse plugged in. If it's not the screen brightness or something simple, I would guess that there's something wrong.

ok heres another thing the cd tray wont open even when the orange light is on and how do i change the brightness?

heyimjustjoshin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
mad jew said:
Could be a lot of things but I'm guessing it's a dead power unit. Do you have another iMac you could salvage a power unit from? :)

no but perhaps a power supply from a PC i do have a few of those laying around

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm way out of my depth here but if you're just resurrecting this baby for fun then I guess you could try using a similarly-powered PC power supply unit. I guess... :eek:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
The power cords were known to go bad on those machines. On the bright side, I have a friend who has a new 80gig hard drive and 384mb ram in a Bondi blue 233mhz, running Panther fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.