Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Hi All,

I've been given an old iMac which is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. The model of iMac is 10,1 which means it should be able to be upgraded to Yosemite but whatever I try and do the upgrade won't download. It gives no error just simply won't download.

I have a retail copy of Snow Leopard which I've also tried to boot from but the system refuses to boot from the DVD as I wanted to completely start from new. When I insert the DVD it spins around for about 20 seconds then ejects. I've also tried putting in a DVD movie and the same happens.

I'm thinking that perhaps there are some restrictions on the system which stops users from reinstalling an OS, modifying it or playing movies. Is this possible?

Can anyone advise what I need to do?

Many thanks
Daz

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hi All,

I've been given an old iMac which is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. The model of iMac is 10,1 which means it should be able to be upgraded to Yosemite but whatever I try and do the upgrade won't download. It gives no error just simply won't download.

I have a retail copy of Snow Leopard which I've also tried to boot from but the system refuses to boot from the DVD as I wanted to completely start from new. When I insert the DVD it spins around for about 20 seconds then ejects. I've also tried putting in a DVD movie and the same happens.

I'm thinking that perhaps there are some restrictions on the system which stops users from reinstalling an OS, modifying it or playing movies. Is this possible?

Can anyone advise what I need to do?

Many thanks
Daz

It really sounds like the Superdrive (CD drive) is not working. They're kind of known for being junky, mine doesn't work either.

Try using an external ROM drive to boot the Snow Leopard disc.

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Thanks but I don't have an external drive. I do have a USB memory stick and my daughter has a Macbook Pro running Mavericks if that helps?

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Well I've tried that and things have gone from bad to worse. I managed to copy the Snow Leopard DVD on to the USB stick and got the iMac to boot from it but after it attempted to install I get a message saying that OS X can't be installed.

I've now go no OS on the iMac!

Any ideas as to what to try now?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well I've tried that and things have gone from bad to worse. I managed to copy the Snow Leopard DVD on to the USB stick and got the iMac to boot from it but after it attempted to install I get a message saying that OS X can't be installed.

I've now go no OS on the iMac!

Any ideas as to what to try now?

Try mounting Disk Utility when booting up after holding down the Option button and see if you can either repair the disk or format it and try loading SL again.

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
I've tried creating a new partition, erasing it, etc. Still no joy with the same error about cannot install OS X. Something about install files.

Any other ideas?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've tried creating a new partition, erasing it, etc. Still no joy with the same error about cannot install OS X. Something about install files.

Any other ideas?

Is it a retail version of SL or a gray disc that is specific to a certain Mac? If it's specific to a certain Mac, it may not be for that that one you have.

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
It says...The installer could not copy the necessary support files. This happens after about 3 or 4 minutes during installation.

----------

It's a retail copy of SL. I'm quite happy to try and install another version if you point me in the right direction as at the moment no OS is a pain!

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Tried that. Still no joy with the same error. The install estimate before was around 31 minutes, when I removed the file option that dropped down to 17 minutes. Isn't that a bit fast? Have I created the image correctly from the SL DVD?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion:
Scrounge up a copy of Mountain Lion (it -can- be found if you know where to look), and try that...

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Okay I'm downloading Yosemite on her Macbook as we speak. What do I do with the file once it's downloaded. Is this a full OS or an update. If it's an update it won't work will it as I have no OS on the iMac?

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
I'm getting very confused here. I have a file on the desktop of her macbook saying Install Mavericks but when I try and pull it in to the source area of the Restore in Disk Utility it isn't accepted. Perhaps it's not an image file?

What do I do?

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Tried so many things I'm starting to get lost.

I'm now on my sons macbook which is running Yosemite. I'm downloading it as we speak.

----------

When I download these files from the App store am I downloading the full OS and not an upgrade as remember the iMac has NO OS currently installed?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Tried so many things I'm starting to get lost.

I'm now on my sons macbook which is running Yosemite. I'm downloading it as we speak.

----------

When I download these files from the App store am I downloading the full OS and not an upgrade as remember the iMac has NO OS currently installed?

Yes, they should be full installer files.

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
OK. Yosemite has downloaded and I'm using Diskmaker X to create the USB bootable stick. I'll let you know what happens!

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Diskmaker X is still creating the USB stick some 30 minutes later. Is that correct?

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
I thought it was going well and sorry to drive you all mad.

It took quite a while to prepare the Yosemite install USB stick but I booted from it on the iMac and it started to install.

After about 15 minutes (progress bar said 15 minutes to install) I received an error. The error says: File system verify or repair failed.

Advice please?

Dazzystar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
It's now decided to download installation components. Twice now it's failed after about 30 minutes or more. Third time lucky!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.