iMac voltage question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wbhambone, Jan 26, 2005.

1. wbhambone macrumors member

I'm currently looking at purchasing a new iMac. I'm planning to move to Wales (UK) early next year, but need the computer now. This article from Apple shows that the G5 iMac is not auto-switching for models purchased in the US and Japan.

Why in the world would Apple do this?

and

Is my only recourse (if I want an iMac) to buy a voltage transformer when I move overseas? Is this safe?

Thanks.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Most U.S. people probably don't even know that their other Mac's were voltage switching. It's probably cheaper this way. You will either have to get a convertor or buy a European iMac.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know if this is the case, but is there a friend or relative of yours from Canada that could help you? I said I'm not sure if this would work because the "Canadian" model is probably the same as the "US" model.

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

you might want to check out the Honey I fried the new iMacG5 thread also the warranty is only valid in the USA. would you be better off going for a ibook /powerbook or getting the imac when you arrive in the UK.

5. wbhambone thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

Is the warranty thing only true on desktops (iMac, eMac, PowerMac) or all apple computers...it wouldn't seem to make sense for iBook and Powerbook - as these are ment to be mobile.

Can anyone confirm the warranty thing? I found no info on Apple's site.

Thanks.

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

The warranty on Apple Desktops (eMac, iMac, Mac Mini, Power Mac) are country specific, i.e. if you buy it in the U.S., the warranty is good only in the U.S.

The warranty on Apple Laptops (iBook, PowerBook) are worldwide, since they are portables.

This information is confirmed by Apple.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The 1.5GHz PB 15" is probably as fast as the iMac, so I'd go and get the 15" PB instead.

Or I'd wait and get the 1.67 GHz G4 PB that's coming out soon.

8. wbhambone thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all - you helped finalize the decision for me....now I'll just wait to see what happens with the powerbook upgrades.

Thanks again.

B