Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbhambone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Wales
I'm currently looking at purchasing a new iMac. I'm planning to move to Wales (UK) early next year, but need the computer now. This article from Apple shows that the G5 iMac is not auto-switching for models purchased in the US and Japan.

Why in the world would Apple do this?

and

Is my only recourse (if I want an iMac) to buy a voltage transformer when I move overseas? Is this safe?

Thanks.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
wbhambone said:
I'm currently looking at purchasing a new iMac. I'm planning to move to Wales (UK) early next year, but need the computer now. This article from Apple shows that the G5 iMac is not auto-switching for models purchased in the US and Japan.

Why in the world would Apple do this?

and

Is my only recourse (if I want an iMac) to buy a voltage transformer when I move overseas? Is this safe?

Thanks.

Most U.S. people probably don't even know that their other Mac's were voltage switching. It's probably cheaper this way. You will either have to get a convertor or buy a European iMac.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know if this is the case, but is there a friend or relative of yours from Canada that could help you? I said I'm not sure if this would work because the "Canadian" model is probably the same as the "US" model.

wbhambone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Wales
Thanks for the replies.

Is the warranty thing only true on desktops (iMac, eMac, PowerMac) or all apple computers...it wouldn't seem to make sense for iBook and Powerbook - as these are ment to be mobile.

Can anyone confirm the warranty thing? I found no info on Apple's site.

Thanks.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
The warranty on Apple Desktops (eMac, iMac, Mac Mini, Power Mac) are country specific, i.e. if you buy it in the U.S., the warranty is good only in the U.S.

The warranty on Apple Laptops (iBook, PowerBook) are worldwide, since they are portables.

This information is confirmed by Apple.

wbhambone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Wales
Thanks all - you helped finalize the decision for me....now I'll just wait to see what happens with the powerbook upgrades.

Thanks again.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.