iMac when to buy??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2Shae, Dec 28, 2006.

  1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #1
    Yeah Yeah I know this has been asked a million times already but not like this yet.

    I'm want to buy a 20" iMac and I'm waiting till after Macworld '07, but what if there's not going to be an upgrade for the iMac @ Macworld!?!

    Should I then wait for the update or just buy it.
    I want to use my iMac for at least 4 years.
    But I do want to have it quickly since I'm switching to a bigger room in my house and I'm also buying a HDTV but I'm waiting for the iMac before I switch so that my new room will be complete.

    So my real question actually is...
    "Will there be an iMac update between now and March?"
    The buyer's Guide says yes, but what do you say?

    And if there's not gonna be an upgrade at MW should I then still buy it on Jan 10 (one day after Macworld) or just wait




    PS: Please don't say:"if you need it now then buy it, if not then wait"
    I hate that line:p
     
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #2
    March seems to be iMac month but Apple is capable of anything. The buyers guide here is a good guide to go by.
     
  3. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

    rmhop81

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2005
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #3
    i could give you a real good deal on mine. i've got it for sale as i just got a MBP. if this interests you let me know, i'm willing to make a great deal for someone. PM me.
     
  4. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #4
    Nah, this is my first iMac and I don't want it second hand, besides I'm not paying for it:D
     
  5. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

    rmhop81

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2005
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #5
    that's cool, just thought i'd ask
     
  6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

    DarkNetworks

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    #6
    I'm pretty much in the same situation as well but I do have a feeling there might be an update from now till March, what I plan to do is, wait till MW, if Leopard's not too far away, just a couple of months, I'll wait, I don't want to spend money upgrading from Tiger to Leopard. Plus, yeah I plan to use it for a couple of years as well. I'll just see what happens at MW and then decide.
     
  7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

    emptyCup

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    #7
    At this point it only makes sense to wait another few days until MacWorld. However, if it is not upgraded, and you do not want to wait, go ahead and buy it. Over the 4 years you plan to keep the machine you will see many upgrades. One more or less will not make a difference. Best wishes.
     
  8. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #8
    That is true.
    But the thing is I'm worried about the graphic card (x1600) if not for that I would have bought it already.
    The x1600 has been in the iMac for a while and I think that it will be upgraded the next time, because it's starting to get outdated.
    Not that I'm a pc gamer but i do want to have an up to date machine.
     
  9. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #9
    It seems like you want to be at the cutting edge (for a while) and you're not under any real time constraints, so my advice is wait and leap for it when the update comes (which I'm guessing if not at MacWorld will be during Spring). That way you'll have no regrets even if the machine is only marginally better than the previous revision.
     
  10. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #10
    I was going to do that, but the strangest coincidence just happend....My windows PC is on it's death bed :S. It starting to freeze and I hear a loud 'tick' right before it freezes. And this is happing randomly but so far it's done it like 20 times already.
    I think the Hard disk is almost dead (I had the same thing with my xbox1 a couple of weeks ago)
    Voodoo maybe or a curse :p

    So now I'm sure that I'm getting my iMac in January!!!
     
  11. damien341 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2006
    Location:
    lower saxony, germany
    #11
    it's easy to answer when to buy - anytime but directly after an upgrade. just lean back, relax and let apple work on your forthcoming product which will be up-to-date for a couple of month. i hate to have an outdated product two weeks after buying.
     
  12. emptyCup macrumors 65816

    emptyCup

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    #12
    This is one school of thought. Another is to wait until any problems with the new model have been sorted out. At damien's end of the spectrum you get to own the latest model for the longest period of time. At the other end you get the most use out of the machine.

    You seem to be closer to damien than to me on the spectrum. I would normally say wait until Spring when you will at least get Leopard for free. Considering the state of your current machine, my advice is to make sure you are well backed-up and buy when you have to. Best wishes.
     
  13. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

    Windowlicker

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    Finland
    #13
    I don't know if this helps a bit, but I'm also on the market... If it's not macworld then there's gonna be at least a month or two without updates anyway, so I'm definitely ordering mine the second I know whether or not there are updates.
     
  14. dirtleg macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2006
    Location:
    St. Louis
    #14
    Similar situation here.

    Looking to upgrade from old G3 iMac, so that tells you we are not annual up-graders. We will probably have our new iMac for 4 to 5 years :eek: before our next upgrade. So we are going to bide some time to see what Apple's schedule for upgrades shakes out to be. We will probably make our jump soon after the next hardware improvement or upgrade. I am guessing that will be when Leopard is also released. I just don't see them making a significant hardware improvement a couple of months before a major operating system release. I would think they would make a big splash doing both simultaneously rather than so close together on the calendar.

    Or not.
     
  15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #15
    Apple updates products differently, i would agree and buy after macworld...if you wait until march and it doesn't come....somehow iThink you will be disappointed because there will probably be one soon there after.

    ¿instead of that "time machine software" why cant apple give us a time machine for the release of their products?
     
  16. jessep28 macrumors 6502

    jessep28

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2006
    Location:
    Omaha, NE
    #16
    The iMacs were just updated a few months ago. I highly doubt any revisions would be major.

    Plus, this is technology. If we all waited to purchase in anticipation of the next update, then nothing would get bought because eventually something will be updated or replaced.

    If you need it today, buy it today. If you want to wait for possible updates to a model, all the power to you :).
     
  17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #17
    wow....iThink that counts as wat was asked not to do
     
  18. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

    AppleIntelRock

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #18
    First off, there are a million posts JUST like this. Check the buyers guide. Honestly, the line you hate so much is the only one that can help you. If you really don't need a computer at the moment, wait. Heck, if you wait until 2013, you're bound to get one SWEET iMac. Possibly with a 100 inch display, a 20 teraflop processor that's less then 1/10 of an inch thick ;) :D :cool: :)
     
  19. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #19
    That would be sweet:p

    But I'm getting my iMac in january now anyway since my pc is acting stupid
     
  20. gvmelbrty macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2006
    #20
    I'm in the same boat. I've got a six-year-old G4 and I'm leaning toward a 24" iMac. Since I don't have a pressing need, I've decided to wait until the Santa Rosa platform is in production and Leopard is pre-installed. That should be before mid next year.

    My only concern with moving to an iMac is the lack of upgradability. In the six years I've had my desktop G4, I've installed three different optical drives, four different hard drives, three different graphic cards, two five-port USB2 cards, an ethernet PCI card, replaced the internal modem, added a 250mb ZIP drive and an Airport card - plus maxing the ram at 2gb. ... Not to mention upgrading the external monitor from 17" to 19" and finally to 20" LCD. ... I'll be lucky if just the HD can be upgraded in the iMac. ... I should probably consider the Mac Pro instead, but the cost difference is pretty big.

    -tom
     

Share This Page