Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vexbegone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Over the last few days, i put my Imac to sleep in the evening. When i try and wake it with my keyboard or mouse, it no longer wakes up. I have to press the power button to wake it, then a bar appears at the bottom of the screen loading, while i can see my background. I have a Late 2013 27 inch Imac. Maybe this is nothing to worry about but some feedback would be great. Thanks.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Ive got a late 2013 21inch iMac
Keyboard and Mouse disconnect for whatever reason when it sleeps and don't reconnect when trying to wake up.
Batteries brand new

Dave

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Over the last few days, i put my Imac to sleep in the evening. When i try and wake it with my keyboard or mouse, it no longer wakes up. I have to press the power button to wake it, then a bar appears at the bottom of the screen loading, while i can see my background. I have a Late 2013 27 inch Imac. Maybe this is nothing to worry about but some feedback would be great. Thanks.

Did you recently add memory? If so, where they Crucial chips?

vexbegone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Ive got a late 2013 21inch iMac
Keyboard and Mouse disconnect for whatever reason when it sleeps and don't reconnect when trying to wake up.
Batteries brand new

Dave
I am having that exact problem as well. I haven't added new memory. Ill try kissing it when i get home, maybe a glass of wine will help.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
If your iMac have a mechanical HDD, the progress bar can indicate your machine is waking from "Safe Sleep," and the situation you describe would be normal. Per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202824
For Mac computers that are started from an mechanical hard drive, OS X includes a deep sleep mode known as safe sleep. Your Mac may enter safe sleep if your battery begins to run low, or your computer is left idle for a long time. Safe sleep copies the contents of memory to your startup drive, and powers down the computer. This helps you when your battery is depleted on Mac notebooks. All you have to do is connect your notebook to AC power again to pick up where you left off, without losing your work.

To wake your Mac from safe sleep, press its power button. If you are using a Mac notebook and your battery is low, connect the AC adapter first. When waking from safe sleep, a progress indicator appears indicating the previously stored contents of memory are being read from the startup disk, and copied back into RAM.

If it's not Safe Sleep, this is the go-to support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204760 - skip down to "Your computer can't wake from sleep."

Reactions: vexbegone

vexbegone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Thanks! I just reset my NVRAM so hopefully that fixed it. I will post back with an update in a day or so.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
I did the NVRAM reset with apple support a few days ago.
It worked for about 24 hours.

I think it's an on going issue now. Bit crap
:(

jcooper131

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2015
I am having the same problem. I installed new memory 2 days ago. I have a mid 2011 27in iMac.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

bokat57

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2015

Hi
I had the exact same problem with my late 2012 iMac. After much confusion with apple "genius" staff and apple care I found the fix on the internet.

That safe sleep stuff is for the laptops an iMac as it is always plugged in does not need it. Some how the setting that controls it got changed on my mac. To turn off safe sleep and have it sleep normally open the terminal and copy and paste the following commands into your terminal one at a time :

sudo pmset -a autopoweroffdelay 86400

sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

If you are not familiar with the terminal let me know and I will walk you through it

Last edited:

jcooper131

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2015
Hi
I had the exact same problem with my late 2012 iMac. After much confusion with apple "genius" staff and apple care I found the fix on the internet.

That safe sleep stuff is for the laptops an iMac as it is always plugged in does not need it. Some how the setting that controls it got changed on my mac. To turn off safe sleep and have it sleep normally open the terminal and copy and paste the following commands into your terminal one at a time :

sudo pmset -a autopoweroffdelay 86400

sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

If you are not familiar with the terminal let me know and I will walk you through it
Thank you. I am not familiar with terminal. I haven't needed to use it yet.

bokat57

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2015
Thank you. I am not familiar with terminal. I haven't needed to use it yet.
Hi

Step 1 open the terminal app. the path to the terminal app. is : Applications/Utilities

Step 2 type sudo -s at the prompt and press enter then enter the administer password ( when you type in the password you won't see it this is normal) after you have entered the password press enter

Step 3 copy and paste sudo pmset -a autopoweroffdelay 86400 in the terminal at the prompt then press enter

Step 4 copy and paste sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0 in the terminal at the prompt then press enter

Step 5 Quit the terminal

You should be good to go ! if you have any questions please feel free to contact me

Good Luck !
Bob

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.