Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MosesSupposes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
Hey guys,

So i've been trying to burn a data dvd (photos) with a Fujifilm 4.7 GB DVD-RW using Toast 7. Unfortunately, i keep getting an error (though i keep forgetting to write it down) just before the write-out begins, and Toast ends up coastering the disc. I only seem to have this problem with dvd-rws...Is it a compatibilty issue with the matshita drives or something else?

I've only successfully burned one -RW, but when i use toast to write more data to the disc, Toast says that it's not a recordable disc anymore. ugh. Kinda frustratiing when i just spent a wack of money on some new RWs.

I have successfully burned the same data on a dvd-r as well.

One additional question, does toast allow you to add data to previous sessions on -RWs?

Any help would be great.

vand0576

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
saint paul, mn
Perhaps you would have more luck with DVD+RW discs.

I got my (24") iMac about a month ago, and it has been the first DVD burner I have ever owned. Upon researching discs, wikipedia told me that DVD+R(W) technology was a bit more stable than DVD-R(W) technology in about three areas that I know nothing about. But their article listed nothing about DVD-R(W) technology being better than DVD+R(W) technology. I haven't myself used any rewritable media in the drive, but all my DVD+R's have turned out wonderfully.

-AJ

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Thanks for bringing this up. I normally use dvd-r disks to back up my data, but was considering switching to RW versions to get some reusability. I think that I'll just go to +RW disks and avoid some problems.

MosesSupposes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
vand0576 said:
Perhaps you would have more luck with DVD+RW discs.
Upon researching discs, wikipedia told me that DVD+R(W) technology was a bit more stable than DVD-R(W) technology in about three areas that I know nothing about. But their article listed nothing about DVD-R(W) technology being better than DVD+R(W) technology.
-AJ

Ya, I read that same article. I think I just might need to try the +RWs too. Do you guys know if adding data to subsequent sessions with DVD-+RWs differs from CD-RWs? I've been having trouble with that too...

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I use +RW's all the time using Toast 7 on iMac, and there's no problems whatsoever. I have never tried using DVD-RW's though.

I do get problems with some CD-RW's where after re-writing about 5 or 6 times, the disc is then not recognisable by the OS (even disk utility doesn't recognise the CD-RW)..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.