Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dicelu

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
The lack of escape key could cause me major issues in some windows apps..... will see how it goes.

The toolbar will display the Esc and Fn keys as soft keys for apps that do not take advantage of the magic toolbar feature.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
What a leak.

Looking forward to know more about the discrete graphics.
And the weight.
My daughter on the other hand wants to know about colour-options...

Will probably miss the physical ESC button. There is something comforting about that exact key being physical.

Jomppa

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
loving my early 2015 more and more. Well see on thursday if i get buyers remorse or not. All usb-c is a no go for me since all my stuff uses old usb port inluding my iPhone 7+. Plus i returned my 12" macbook cause of the keyboard, now the function keys goes touch panel ---> goodbye using that without looking.

nitrofurano

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
how soon will we find instructions from webpages like ifixit explaining how to remove this “biometric fingerprint recognition” permanently as hardware? and i hope this “Apple Pay” thing can be uninstalled very easily (btw, it’s really awesome that we can still install GNU/Linux on macbooks, and boot it via rEFInd)

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
No jack on the macbook either? How am I going to connect my studio speakers and sound equipment now? Do I have to buy yet again more adapters? ffs.

The article quite clearly states that the MBP will have a headphone jack.
Do you really rely on the onboard sound for studio output though? You would get much better quality audio using an external interface with balanced outputs to your monitors rather than using the unbalanced 3.5mm jack on the MBP.

Reactions: R3k and DogHouseDub

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
13" i5U 256GB 8GB - $1499
13" i5U 512GB 8GB - $1699
13' i7U 1TB 16GB - $1999

15" i5HQ 256GB 16GB - $2199
15" i5HQ 512GB 16GB - $2399
15" i7HQ 1TB 32GB - $2699

Right?

banananap

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
I feel like we're not gonna see light up apple logos on the new notebooks. Looks so thin!

ZeroQuest

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
It's definitely a little smaller. Resized images to match the width of the keyboards. (Right side to the right of the OLED panel since the keys are obscured.) I like it, but wish there was a better solution for no esc key.

Attachments

• macbook.jpg
    macbook.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 303

nurban1992

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2015
Cool.

- @ just noticed the butterfly keyboard. Good luck pro-folks with not being able to type normally. :rolleyes:
People will get used to it, in time. Not before too long, many users will understand it as the new keyboard standard. In the long run, this is not a major issue.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
The article quite clearly states that the MBP will have a headphone jack.
Do you really rely on the onboard sound for studio output though? You would get much better quality audio using an external interface with balanced outputs to your monitors rather than using the unbalanced 3.5mm jack on the MBP.
I need to have multiple out and in. Some is already over usb. usb-c would certainly help, but also means yet another one.
glad to hear it probably has a jack / must have misread

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
This is where we find out that every game and app where we use the [esc] key now needs to be updated to support the 'new way to escape' ..

My bet is on a dedicated/physical esc button and power button.

In one of the images you can see the Cancel text doesn't appear to go all the way to the left, the space it leaves between the edge of the black strip and the text appears to be similar in size to the esc button in current rMBPs.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Magic Toolbar is awful. So now if I want to change volume/screen brightness it will probably be easier just to use System Preferences instead of trying to switch to the right program (Finder?) to bring to front so that the "magic toolbar" displays desired controls. Hopefully it doesn't get burn-in too fast either. Remember, people don't swap computers every year. Well, at least they didn't make the entire keyboard awful... oh wait.

Incredible how people hate on functionality that isn't yet introduced. Why don't you wait and see what the implementation looks like before you give yourself an ulcer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.