Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalDawn

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011
I always want to know for sure whether or not my iPhone is really unlocked. The best way to do this is to buy a T-Mobile SIM card from ebay. It should only cost a couple of dollars. Just make sure that you get the correct size SIM card for your phone.

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I always want to know for sure whether or not my iPhone is really unlocked. The best way to do this is to buy a T-Mobile SIM card from ebay. It should only cost a couple of dollars. Just make sure that you get the correct size SIM card for your phone.

Thanks,
I just got one from the T-mo store across the street for $10. My iPhone 5 and 3GS are both without a doubt unlocked!

Rollogic

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
Hey Guys,

I paid to have my iPhone 4 unlocked by a local shop last July. I wanted to have it unlocked before I moved to Korea. When I got here I had the local company, Olleh change the SIM card out and I now have service here through them ever since.

I want to upgrade to iOS 6.1.2, but I do not if it means my phone will brick. Yet I do have a new SIM and carrier, which I assume means my unlock is legitimate. Maybe I am being too careful, but do you think it is ok to upgrade my software?

Thanks to all!

cr8tivesolution

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Help

okay. I have an iPhone 4, that I paid to have unlocked on ebay. Idk if the phone is really unlocked because the servers are all down for the IMEI check.

However, when I put in a T-Mobile USA SIM, it tells me that the phone has "No Service" and under network, it says "Phone Not Allowed". HELP PLEASE!

Thank You.

YellowNimbus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Georgia, USA
okay. I have an iPhone 4, that I paid to have unlocked on ebay. Idk if the phone is really unlocked because the servers are all down for the IMEI check.

However, when I put in a T-Mobile USA SIM, it tells me that the phone has "No Service" and under network, it says "Phone Not Allowed". HELP PLEASE!

Thank You.

Sorry for the late response. In our experience, the fact that your iPhone is displaying "No Service" indicates that it is communicating with the non-AT&T network, T-Mobile - a good indication that it's unlocked.

The "No Service" message usually just means that your new SIM card needs to be activated on the network.

Here's our explanation:

Did My iPhone Unlock Fail

Last edited:

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia

Thank You.

Have you tried to put some credit on the T-Mobile SIM card?

novice121

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
I can't believe people use to pay over 60 U$D for IMEI unlocks, guess I got lucky. I only paid like 5 bucks on eBay from a trusted seller. I could've gone look for even cheaper prices, but the guy seemed genuinely nice (not those, "I want to sell" nice") and even refunded my money quickly when I made a mistake. So I went ahead and re-did it with him:

Code:
http://myworld.ebay.com/espeforu

YellowNimbus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Georgia, USA
I can't believe people use to pay over 60 U$D for IMEI unlocks, guess I got lucky. I only paid like 5 bucks on eBay from a trusted seller. I could've gone look for even cheaper prices, but the guy seemed genuinely nice (not those, "I want to sell" nice") and even refunded my money quickly when I made a mistake. So I went ahead and re-did it with him:

Code:
http://myworld.ebay.com/espeforu

I know, it's kind of crazy when you think of it. I paid over $100 in April 2011 to unlock my 3GS. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but back then there was NO WAY to officially unlock any AT&T iPhone.

I was on extended stay outside of the US at the time. Jailbreaking was too much of a hassle for me then, considering the availability of internet where I was, etc.

I tried and tried and tried with AT&T to have it unlocked. I sent copies of my passport, visa, etc. No go, they weren't doing it.

CutYourSim had the unlock for the AT&T iPhone advertised on their site for like 2 days only. I jumped on it before they took it down. Just to see the "Congratulations" screen was really worth it for me, considering all I was going through at the time.

Now, $2 AT&T iPhone unlocks. Hopefully, supply and demand can drive down the prices for other carriers as well.

Last edited:

reminis16

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
Just unlocked my iphone but saids i need to restore for it to work. Is this necessary? Also whats best way do it without losing my 6.1.2 jailbreak?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.