Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.asker

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
If it was an AT&T phone, they will unlock it. It is all done over the web.

See this page: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/?
Not right.
The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
  1. a current AT&T customer
  2. a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
If you are not AT&T customer current or former you are not able to request unlock from the AT&T even if you have AT&T phone out of any contracts.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Not right.
The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
  1. a current AT&T customer
  2. a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
If you are not AT&T customer current or former you are not able to request unlock from the AT&T even if you have AT&T phone out of any contracts.

Have had AT&T unlock 2 "old" iPhones for me. Do not recall the form asking for an account number.

I am not saying you are incorrect, I just don't remember them asking for it.

lambo

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
FL
I purchased a $24.99 unlock for iPhone 5c from an ebay listing of iphoneunlockservices.com. 1 to 5 days. I'll keep you posted

Last edited:

ronaldito19

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
thanks for the answers...

i guess i'm trying with swiftunlocks...it was the cheapest with kind of good reviews site i found..
i didn't do it with the at&t form because i don't know where my iphone came from..i mean...i bought it to a guy but i don't know if it was stolen..returned or what...

well..i let you know in 2-10 days if i could unlocked it from swiftunlocks

mr.asker

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
thanks for the answers...

i guess i'm trying with swiftunlocks...
well..i let you know in 2-10 days if i could unlocked it from swiftunlocks
Please, update us with your result. Anyway this site is well known unlocking source.

Dang! I should have waited a bit longer for a response from you. Went ahead an order through chronic unlocks (economy) service $49.99.
Don't worry! If your iPhone is under contract this service will not unlock your device. Hence, you will have chance to try this cheaper service;)

kmillzz

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Ummm...

Not when I had mine unlocked.

Thats what I thought. I've read handfuls of reviews from people that had on-contract iPhones get unlocked through these services. On top of that Chronic states that he's had more success with these phones on contract than others. So who knows, I'm hopeful.

kmillzz

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
I was looking to unlock my Canadian Rogers iphone.
I saw this site but I am suspicious: http://www.jailbreakandunlockios.com/

I then seen you guys recommend ChronicUnlocks. They charge $100 to unlock. I can get mine unlocked officially by my carrier for $50. I was hoping to save some money and find a next to free service; however, looks like all bets are off?

IDK that website looks sketchy! If you go with Chronic and it doesn't work then you'll get your money back. With these sketchy websites your SOL. Ill let you know how my unlock goes with Chronic.

ProDave

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
I paid Keys2iPhone.com $100 to unlock my iphone 5s at&t. Two weeks later, it shows as refunded. It didn't say why. I wonder what's wrong with my phone. It was bought at full price as a gift, no contract.

I guess, I'll give it one last try with slimyoursim.

Seems Economy service [Aka Clean IMEI service] = hit or miss.

Premium would be the only one to unlock it then but its a bit expensive.

sarahragan2014

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Carson City
This might be a stupid queston but hope someone can answer

1. I have a Cricket iPhone 5 currently without using any carrier, will I be able to use an AT&T sim card on it ?

Or does the work LOCKED means it is locked to every carrier in this universe and any other parallel ones ?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I paid Keys2iPhone.com $100 to unlock my iphone 5s at&t. Two weeks later, it shows as refunded. It didn't say why. I wonder what's wrong with my phone. It was bought at full price as a gift, no contract.

I guess, I'll give it one last try with slimyoursim.

if you oaid full price, get in touch with at&t for an official unlock

mr.asker

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
people that had on-contract iPhones get unlocked through these services. On top of that Chronic states that he's had more success with these phones on contract than others. So who knows, I'm hopeful.
The service you bought is for off-contract or old devices only. It is stated in description. Chronic charges $124.99 to unlock in contract device and it is not Express service, feel the difference! He can states everything, just ask Enigmafan420 about his not positive experience with Chronic ;)

kmillzz

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
The service you bought is for off-contract or old devices only. It is stated in description. Chronic charges $124.99 to unlock in contract device and it is not Express service, feel the difference! He can states everything, just ask Enigmafan420 about his not positive experience with Chronic ;)

Only reason I went with this service first was because it said on the ad that it was a good first try for an unlock. Also it stated on the ad "but for an active or in-contract device the success rate varies (Note: We have been able to achieve a higher success rate than most other vendors, at least)." You never know until you try right? Lol

mr.asker

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
kmillzz, Pffft. Some people ignore experience of others and need to try by themselves. Will laugh together when your unlock fail with this service :rolleyes:
Yeah, and thank you for the idea for headline! I really like it :cool:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.