Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vickim22

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
And the story continues, just when I thought things shouldn’t get any worse, sure enough it has!! I received a text and for some reason I lost 7 years worth of history with that individual, it completely got deleted from my phone, all my other devices and iCloud!! I can’t believe this is happening! It’s just one individual too. This is the beginning of the end for me.i called Apple and they most likely can’t do a thing about it . I have lost complete confidence in Apple!
Me too! So many issues, aside from not getting any alerts from my husbands iMessages my phone is deleting complete text threads. Initially I lost one thread with the very first update and now every time I restore from a back up more are missing. Today I restored restored from an old iTunes back up from September and I at least have recovered those texts but none of my photos are indexing and I still can’t get notifications when my husband texts me. Called Apple last night they have escalated it. This is maddening!!!!

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Me too! So many issues, aside from not getting any alerts from my husbands iMessages my phone is deleting complete text threads. Initially I lost one thread with the very first update and now every time I restore from a back up more are missing. Today I restored restored from an old iTunes back up from September and I at least have recovered those texts but none of my photos are indexing and I still can’t get notifications when my husband texts me. Called Apple last night they have escalated it. This is maddening!!!!
It’s unforgivable and unacceptable! Don’t bother wasting any time with senior advisors or their joke of an engineering team. I have so many logs and analytics collected and sent to them to only be a complete waste of time. You are better off asking an 8 ball crystal ball then to deal with a so called “engineer” and senior advisor

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Yeah. We (SO and I) keep having issues with not receiving messages from each other, even sitting 5' away just to test it. iPads and iPhones completely unsynced no matter what we tried. May go back to AOL IM at this rate! ;)

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Any updates on this. I just put someone’s contact name in to find a text and I get the ‘finishes indexing ...’ and name won’t show up so have to trawl through hundreds of old messages. Updated weeks ago and it’s obviously not doing anything re indexing. And unlikely to finish.

The contact names problem whereby it only shows the number not the contact name on notification has been an issue for years and that’s never been fixed either. Nice work Apple

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Any updates on this. I just put someone’s contact name in to find a text and I get the ‘finishes indexing ...’ and name won’t show up so have to trawl through hundreds of old messages. Updated weeks ago and it’s obviously not doing anything re indexing. And unlikely to finish.

The contact names problem whereby it only shows the number not the contact name on notification has been an issue for years and that’s never been fixed either. Nice work Apple
Apple has issued 2 updates regarding this issue and it didn’t work, they are 0 for 2. They are extremely incompetent to recode it back to iOS 12 . They must hire ex Walmart employees for their engineering team.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Apple has issued 2 updates regarding this issue and it didn’t work, they are 0 for 2. They are extremely incompetent to recode it back to iOS 12 . They must hire ex Walmart employees for their engineering team.

Wow, I’ve only just updated to 13 in last couple of weeks and this thread started and pointed out the problem last September. Outstanding stuff it’s still not fixed. The other problem I have with text alerts only showing the number and not contact name on many contacts, that’s never been fixed either, and that’s gone on for two years. I remember then others also having that problem.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Wow, I’ve only just updated to 13 in last couple of weeks and this thread started and pointed out the problem last September. Outstanding stuff it’s still not fixed. The other problem I have with text alerts only showing the number and not contact name on many contacts, that’s never been fixed either, and that’s gone on for two years. I remember then others also having that problem.
That’s what I fear is that they may never fix the issue, they gave it 2 tries already

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Well the contact names that are missing when text alert comes up was an issue they knew about when I got the ‘8’ a couple of years ago and I still have that problem, and I know many others did. Whether they gave up like I did or found a fix I don’t know. Just easier to open the texts as I’ve no idea who it is from a banner with a number. Maybe this one will get another ‘fix’...

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Apple will NEVER fix this !
[automerge]1580324843[/automerge]

[automerge]1580324921[/automerge]
How can’t something be fixed when it worked flawless for so many years. Apple stopped innovating and now they are reversing all the software back to the stone ages!

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Apple will NEVER fix this !
[automerge]1580324843[/automerge]

[automerge]1580324921[/automerge]
How can’t something be fixed when it worked flawless for so many years. Apple stopped innovating and now they are reversing all the software back to the stone ages!

That's a very good question, but I now just accept it doesn't work like it used to, the same as I have to accept that Mail and Safari are horrendous on the latest iOS, and don't work properly, but were working infinitely better on iOS12. Now Safari is terrible and searches show half screen and many results blank pages. Mail sometimes takes forever to load, Will that get fixed?

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
That's a very good question, but I now just accept it doesn't work like it used to, the same as I have to accept that Mail and Safari are horrendous on the latest iOS, and don't work properly, but were working infinitely better on iOS12. Now Safari is terrible and searches show half screen and many results blank pages. Mail sometimes takes forever to load, Will that get fixed?
i had to purchase a third party software (wasn’t cheap either)that I can rback up and rely on for my messages and other important stuff that has cost me money because Apple broke my phone. I have trusted apple for so many years and now that is completely gone. I can’t rely on the biggest tech company in the world to fix a mistake they have created. As a consumer I have to pay out of my pocket to try and bandage a trillion dollar companies mistake in which they can not fix.

Reactions: Peter Franks

sciolist10

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
This is a problem on mine. iPhone 7 13.5.1
Hundreds and hundreds of photos in one thread not showing up.

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018
Anyone ever find a resolution to this? I had it happen before then I somehow fixed it but after upgrading to iOS14 beta and downgrading again to iOS 13 and restoring from a backup, I appear to have the issue again. Going through multiple different steps to try to resolve it.

Marcos Palmeri

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
Add me to the list of people having this issue. Restored from an iCloud backup over a week ago (iOS 13.6) and threads show no pics (some show newer pics, but even that’s sporadic). Can’t imagine after a week it’s still indexing my Messages app.

Randalpaul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019
Bringing this back up....having this issue on iOS 14 on a new phone and new iPad smh
Sadly I was one of the original people to have this problem last year. After tier 2 and engineers for a month at least, I almost gave up but on one of these groups someone said that if you back up to iTunes do a restore from iTunes and then set up using your back up it fixes it and it worked. I was irritated when I got my 12 pro, which I hate the squared edges btw compared to the 11 pro, I thought the setup process was very simplified but once again I had zero indexing. I waited all day and tried every workaround including toggling on/ off in messages-iCloud and turning off messages in Siri rebooting and turning on. Nothing worked. I am always reluctant because I have 50k photos to do a restore but once again it worked. Good luck

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Sadly I was one of the original people to have this problem last year. After tier 2 and engineers for a month at least, I almost gave up but on one of these groups someone said that if you back up to iTunes do a restore from iTunes and then set up using your back up it fixes it and it worked. I was irritated when I got my 12 pro, which I hate the squared edges btw compared to the 11 pro, I thought the setup process was very simplified but once again I had zero indexing. I waited all day and tried every workaround including toggling on/ off in messages-iCloud and turning off messages in Siri rebooting and turning on. Nothing worked. I am always reluctant because I have 50k photos to do a restore but once again it worked. Good luck
What if I don’t have a back up? My MacBook has all the pics in the messages app there but my new iPhone doesn’t have all the photos in the messages app

Randalpaul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019
What if I don’t have a back up? My MacBook has all the pics in the messages app there but my new iPhone doesn’t have all the photos in the messages app
If you look at your messages and scroll up do the pictures show up. If they do and mine did then I backed up my phone and restored from the same back up. We are a very small group. I wish apple would figure this one out but this has worked for me on multiple 11 Pros and now on this 12 pro

Reactions: atlchamp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.