Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
I did this when I was in Ireland last month. I was on wifi only and got all my imessages. Sometimes I did get a delay before it got the messages for the first time that day (probably because the wifi in the B&B was a bit unreliable), but it worked out.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Incorrect. If you receive a SMS overseas on AT&T it is billed as receiving a standard SMS while in the USA.

Verizon does charge to receive international SMS though.

Your statement about a sender having to pay extra to send a sms to someone who is roaming overseas is complete nonsense.

actually if you are overseas and you recieve a text message then it will cost more because you're using pay per use data roaming

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
actually if you are overseas and you recieve a text message then it will cost more because you're using pay per use data roaming
While roaming might be involved, technically speaking, text messaging doesn't use data, at least not in the sense in which data is used by apps, browsing online, or even MMS messaging.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012

No YOU are incorrect. AT&T does not charge extra to receive texts while roaming overseas.

This is directly from their website:

Pay-Per-UseText messages:
• Send: $0.50
• deducted from your domestic messaging package

Picture/video messages:
• Send: $1.30

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/i...dable-world-packages.jsp#messaging-outside-us

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
No YOU are incorrect. AT&T does not charge extra to receive texts while roaming overseas.

This is directly from their website:

Pay-Per-UseText messages:
• Send: $0.50

Picture/video messages:
• Send: $1.30

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/i...dable-world-packages.jsp#messaging-outside-us

yes but what you don't seem to grasp is that if you are overseas, and you're not in airplane mode YOU WILL PAY MORE....you can't recieve SMS without some sort of celluar signal right? And to have a cellular signal with your US phone number in a foreign country involves DATA ROAMING...think about that then get back to me...

Sincerely,

Frequent World Traveler

----------

While roaming might be involved, technically speaking, text messaging doesn't use data, at least not in the sense in which data is used by apps, browsing online, or even MMS messaging.

yes but a CELLULAR SIGNAL is required to recieve SMS messages on your US number while overseas...that is where the extra expense comes in

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
yes but what you don't seem to grasp is that if you are overseas, and you're not in airplane mode YOU WILL PAY MORE....you can't recieve SMS without some sort of celluar signal right? And to have a cellular signal with your US phone number in a foreign country involves DATA ROAMING...think about that then get back to me...

Sincerely,

Frequent World Traveler

----------

yes but a CELLULAR SIGNAL is required to recieve SMS messages on your US number while overseas...that is where the extra expense comes in

So since you're such a world traveler, how much does AT&T actually charge to receive a single SMS msg while roaming overseas?

Apparently AT&T doesn't even know since they're website must be wrong ( according to you).

The act of receiving a "CELLULAR SIGNAL" is not what leads to international roaming charges...it is doing something that actually generates an add'l charge...and in this case AT&T DOES NOT charge extra to receive SMS while roaming overseas.

Do you actually have AT&T service? All the carriers bill things differently.

And by the way...stuffing your face at the local Chinese all you can eat buffet doesn't make you a "frequent world traveler".

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
So since you're such a world traveler, how much does AT&T actually charge to receive a single SMS msg while roaming overseas?

Apparently AT&T doesn't even know since they're website must be wrong ( according to you).

The act of receiving a "CELLULAR SIGNAL" is not what leads to international roaming charges...it is doing something that actually generates an add'l charge...and in this case AT&T DOES NOT charge extra to receive SMS while roaming overseas.

Do you actually have AT&T service? All the carriers bill things differently.

And by the way...stuffing your face at the local Chinese all you can eat buffet doesn't make you a "frequent world traveler".

this is not up for debate it's based on facts...yes I'm with AT&T...again let me ask you: HOW WILL YOU RECIEVE A SMS MESSAGE ON YOUR US PHONE OVERSEAS WITHOUT ROAMING?!?!?! you won't buddy...if you don't put yourself on the foreign network how will you get a signal? SMS does not work through wifi sporto....I hope I am clear enough now...just to wrap this up...you can't recieve SMS overseas without roaming and AT&T WILL charge you per MB...when you turn on your cell signal in a foreign country this is the first thing that pops up..."WELCOME TO AT&T INTERNATIONAL ROAMING"....and by the way I have several passport stamps from countries all over Asia...Singapore, Thailand, The Philippines, Japan, and even got one in Russia on a layover...in fact I was in Thailand from 11-26-12 to January 3rd 2013....do you even have a passport? My father is Filipino and I have friends all over the reigon...good day to you

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Not completely sure what you're saying, but if Wi-Fi is enabled you will receive all iMessages which were successfully delivered from sender. If however, the sender loses signal as the message is sending it was automatically go as a text. In that case, you won't get it until you start receiving a signal again.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
this is not up for debate it's based on facts...yes I'm with AT&T...again let me ask you: HOW WILL YOU RECIEVE A SMS MESSAGE ON YOUR US PHONE OVERSEAS WITHOUT ROAMING?!?!?! you won't buddy...if you don't put yourself on the foreign network how will you get a signal? SMS does not work through wifi sporto....I hope I am clear enough now...just to wrap this up...you can't recieve SMS overseas without roaming and AT&T WILL charge you per MB...when you turn on your cell signal in a foreign country this is the first thing that pops up..."WELCOME TO AT&T INTERNATIONAL ROAMING"....and by the way I have several passport stamps from countries all over Asia...Singapore, Thailand, The Philippines, Japan, and even got one in Russia on a layover...in fact I was in Thailand from 11-26-12 to January 3rd 2013....do you even have a passport? My father is Filipino and I have friends all over the reigon...good day to you

So answer my question...since AT&Ts website is wrong, tell me how much it costs to receive a SMS while roaming overseas? Please read the link below and see attached screenshot.

--INTERNATIONAL DATA ROAMING AND INTERNATIONAL SMS ARE BILLED SEPARATELY AND CONSIDERED SEPARATE ITEMS.

ve3e5u5e.jpg

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Sincerely,

Frequent World Traveler

----------

Correct, typically you'd be roaming. Once an SMS comes in, it will simply go by the established international roaming charge associated with SMS messaging.

So, if a carrier says receiving an SMS when roaming internationally costs $1.00 then that is the only charge you will get for that SMS message. Simply having a roaming cellular connection won't result in charges unless it is used--in cases of a call, the charge will be whatever the agreed on call/per-minute charge is associated with that particular roaming carrier, in case of an SMS it will be whatever the agreed on SMS charge is. There are no data charges associated with SMS messaging, as it is treated like voice minutes--there's a specific charge per each one that gets charged when roaming internationally and that's it.

In most cases there won't be some sort of double-dipping where you pay for a charge for an international SMS in additional to some sort of roaming usage charge.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Correct, typically you'd be roaming. Once an SMS comes in, it will simply go by the established international roaming charge associated with SMS messaging.

So, if a carrier says receiving an SMS when roaming internationally costs $1.00 then that is the only charge you will get for that SMS message. Simply having a roaming cellular connection won't result in charges unless it is used--in cases of a call, the charge will be whatever the agreed on call/per-minute charge is associated with that particular roaming carrier, in case of an SMS it will be whatever the agreed on SMS charge is. There are no data charges associated with SMS messaging, as it is treated like voice minutes--there's a specific charge per each one that gets charged when roaming internationally and that's it.

In most cases there won't be some sort of double-dipping where you pay for a charge for an international SMS in additional to some sort of roaming usage charge.

Exactly. Thank you.

So in AT&T's case...you should reference the link to their website or the screen shot that I posted. I sure get tired of all of the misinformation that people like clown face post on this forum.

The link again for people that are interested is:

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Exactly. Thank you.

So in AT&T's case...you should reference the link to their website or the screen shot that I posted. I sure get tired of all of the misinformation that people like clown face post on this forum.

The link again for people that are interested is:

I also travel a great deal and have never been charged by At&T to receive a text. Now if I respond they charge me per text.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
meh, you have all the answers I suppose...contact me after you return from Asia and have an additional $150 attached to your AT&T bill for messages...that's my real world experience

fultonjt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
You will get them all providing the sender is sending it to the email address associated with your iMessage account. If they send it to your number you may not get every one!

iMessage uses data regardless if its to your email or phone number. I send and recieve iMessages to and from Europe/US all the time. I usually have my phone in airplane mode with the wifi turned on. As long as each of you can send and receive iMessages, you'll be good to go. Throw your phone in airplane mode, leave wifi on and you'll be fine.

----------

Yep. SMS will always be roaming if using a US phone in Europe or vice versa. Its what makes iMessage so great (assuming you are using wifi).

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
iMessage uses data regardless if its to your email or phone number. I send and recieve iMessages to and from Europe/US all the time. I usually have my phone in airplane mode with the wifi turned on. As long as each of you can send and receive iMessages, you'll be good to go. Throw your phone in airplane mode, leave wifi on and you'll be fine.

----------

Yep. SMS will always be roaming if using a US phone in Europe or vice versa. Its what makes iMessage so great (assuming you are using wifi).

Yes. But AT&T does not charge extra to receive text msgs while roaming. Look at the links and screenshot above.

Data, voice, and SMS are all separately billed items!

I agree that iMessage over wifi is the more desirable alternative then traveling overseas.

While AT&T does not charge to receive a SMS while roaming, they do charge to send one, and other carriers such as Verizon do charge by the message when you receive a SMS while roaming out of the country.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
meh, you have all the answers I suppose...contact me after you return from Asia and have an additional $150 attached to your AT&T bill for messages...that's my real world experience
It wouldn't be for SMS (unless the roaming would be on some carrier that is not contracted with AT&T or something weird like that). It might very well be charges for roaming data (even associated with iMessages or something similar), but not for SMS.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
It wouldn't be for SMS (unless the roaming would be on some carrier that is not contracted with AT&T or something weird like that). It might very well be charges for roaming data (even associated with iMessages or something similar), but not for SMS.

IDK...the messages were green not blue and I wasn't on the internet nor did I recieve any notifications from any apps etc...The text's were charged at a rate of 1.50 and AT&T claims the Chinese carrier the bulk of the messages went through billed them as Multimedia

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
IDK...the messages were green not blue and I wasn't on the internet nor did I recieve any notifications from any apps etc...The text's were charged at a rate of 1.50 and AT&T claims the Chinese carrier the bulk of the messages went through billed them as Multimedia
So it sounds like you were charged some sort of international SMS rate (per message). It's not really roaming or data roaming, but just international message (SMS) charge. Now, wether or not, for AT&T and that particular carrier, that rate should have been in play for international SMS is a somewhat different question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.