Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
I have been using imovie over the past couple of months for some light movie editing and today when i tried to open it something went wrong. The icon just shows up in the dock for a second and then goes away. Whats wrong and what can I do to fix it.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
It sounds like the most likely cause is permissions. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and repair permissions.
If that fails, try deleting all the iMovie preferences files. They'll be one at Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovie[version no].plist, and there's also Home/Library/iMovie

maise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
ok tried repairing the hard drive and i deleted the things you told me to and the same thing is happening and the same thing is still happening. What else can I do? Should i just delete it and try reinstalling it?

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Did you repair the disk or repair permissions for the disk (your last post is a little vague). In disk utility, after selecting the hard disk there are four buttons; Verify Disk Permissions, Repair Disk Permissions, Verify Disk and Repair Disk. Make sure you click Repair Disk Permissions. Failing that try creating a new user and seeing if the problem still occurs with that user. If it does, you may have to reinstall iMovie.

iamthedeepember

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
I am having the same problem and I dont know what to do. I rebooted like 7 times and it still will not open. It doesnt even let me get to the preferences to delete them.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

iamthedeepember said:
I am having the same problem and I dont know what to do. I rebooted like 7 times and it still will not open. It doesnt even let me get to the preferences to delete them.

The computer won't let you get trash the prefs? Are you not the administrator?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
To me, it sounds like the application is crashing. Please post the entire last entry from within ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/iMovie.crash.log

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.