iMovie will not open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maise, Feb 27, 2004.

1. maise macrumors member

I have been using imovie over the past couple of months for some light movie editing and today when i tried to open it something went wrong. The icon just shows up in the dock for a second and then goes away. Whats wrong and what can I do to fix it.

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

It sounds like the most likely cause is permissions. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and repair permissions.
    If that fails, try deleting all the iMovie preferences files. They'll be one at Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovie[version no].plist, and there's also Home/Library/iMovie

3. maise thread starter macrumors member

ok tried repairing the hard drive and i deleted the things you told me to and the same thing is happening and the same thing is still happening. What else can I do? Should i just delete it and try reinstalling it?

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Did you repair the disk or repair permissions for the disk (your last post is a little vague). In disk utility, after selecting the hard disk there are four buttons; Verify Disk Permissions, Repair Disk Permissions, Verify Disk and Repair Disk. Make sure you click Repair Disk Permissions. Failing that try creating a new user and seeing if the problem still occurs with that user. If it does, you may have to reinstall iMovie.

5. iamthedeepember macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem and I dont know what to do. I rebooted like 7 times and it still will not open. It doesnt even let me get to the preferences to delete them.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

The computer won't let you get trash the prefs? Are you not the administrator?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

To me, it sounds like the application is crashing. Please post the entire last entry from within ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/iMovie.crash.log