Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Has anyone else taken implicit association tests? I just tried a couple here and found that I slightly prefer white skinned people over dark skinned people and that I slightly prefer gay over straight. I'm not entirely surprised by my results.

As always I'm fascinated by these kinds of tests, so I thought I'd share the link.

bhrose

Jun 7, 2005
I took one a few years back to see if consumers still had lingering negative attitudes about McDonald's after the rumor broke about worm meat in McDonald's hamburgers. They're neat little tests that are now being used for an amazing array of studies.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The test said I have a moderate automatic like for light skinned people. It's so weird, because I even said I have a slight preference for light skinned people, so I don't know what this is telling me. :confused:

Oh, and I didn't know in what context they used the word "prefer". I was thinking "girls." :p I'm asian and like mainly girls who are asian or brunettes, which happen to have light-to-moderate skin tone. So sue me. :p

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
amateurmacfreak said:
It doesn't.... I'm 98% sure.
oh, ok. i wasnt sure if it would. anyways, i took the presidents test. i'm incredibly liberal, cant stand bush, and love michael moore. the test results said:

Implicit Association Test said:
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Abraham Lincoln compared to George W. Bush.

not a surprise at all. i couldnt stop myself from laughing when i saw the pictures of bush, he looks like a monkey.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
count chocula said:
not a surprise at all. i couldnt stop myself from laughing when i saw the pictures of bush, he looks like a monkey.
Haha. I have no/slight preference on that, but I hate the guy too. :)

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Your data suggest a slight association of European American with Harmless Objects and African American with Weapons compared to African American with Harmless Objects and European American with Weapons.

I think that would've turned out different if they paired European American with dangerous weapons first. I think I missed 1 thing. They should have a percentage.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
SamIchi said:
Your data suggest a slight association of European American with Harmless Objects and African American with Weapons compared to African American with Harmless Objects and European American with Weapons.

I think that would've turned out different if they paired European American with dangerous weapons first. I think I missed 1 thing. They should have a percentage.
Yeah that's what I thought too when they first paired light skinned people with good things. Apparently what pairs first is random, so you can start the test over, and over until you get the other pairing if you like. They also say something about what effect it has on the result in the FAQ. I don't remember exactly what they said, but I think it was something about it not affecting the result much.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Well, it appears that I like young people much more than old people...

I like thin people much more than fat people...

I like light skin somewhat more than dark skin...

I like straight people somewhat more than gay people...

and I'm neutral between white peeps and asians. :D

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
I took the old/young people test, and I felt that all the effort I put into that test was not worth the one sentence telling me that I preferred young people to old people.

eMac4ever

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
I have...

Little to no automatic preference between Straight People and Gay People.

little or no association between European American and Asian American with American and Foreign.

moderate automatic preference for Old compared to Young.

moderate association of European American with Harmless Objects and African American with Weapons compared to African American with Harmless Objects and European American with Weapons.

slight automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Hmm...

"Your data suggests little to no automatic preference between Gay People and Straight People."

Hmm, and I seem to slightly prefer people w/ darker skin tones than lighter.

I wonder how accurate these little tests are. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.