Implicit Association Test

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gekko513, Jul 9, 2006.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Has anyone else taken implicit association tests? I just tried a couple here and found that I slightly prefer white skinned people over dark skinned people and that I slightly prefer gay over straight. I'm not entirely surprised by my results.

As always I'm fascinated by these kinds of tests, so I thought I'd share the link.

2. bhrose Guest

I took one a few years back to see if consumers still had lingering negative attitudes about McDonald's after the rumor broke about worm meat in McDonald's hamburgers. They're neat little tests that are now being used for an amazing array of studies.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The test said I have a moderate automatic like for light skinned people. It's so weird, because I even said I have a slight preference for light skinned people, so I don't know what this is telling me. :confused:

Oh, and I didn't know in what context they used the word "prefer". I was thinking "girls." :p I'm asian and like mainly girls who are asian or brunettes, which happen to have light-to-moderate skin tone. So sue me. :p

4. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i took the gay-straight test and it said i have little to no preference between gay and straight people. (i'm straight if that matters with the test results).

5. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

It doesn't.... I'm 98% sure.

6. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

oh, ok. i wasnt sure if it would. anyways, i took the presidents test. i'm incredibly liberal, cant stand bush, and love michael moore. the test results said:

not a surprise at all. i couldnt stop myself from laughing when i saw the pictures of bush, he looks like a monkey.

7. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Haha. I have no/slight preference on that, but I hate the guy too. :)

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Your data suggest a slight association of European American with Harmless Objects and African American with Weapons compared to African American with Harmless Objects and European American with Weapons.

I think that would've turned out different if they paired European American with dangerous weapons first. I think I missed 1 thing. They should have a percentage.

9. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

you gotta love a smilie that follows a serious comment about hating somebody. :D

10. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Yeah that's what I thought too when they first paired light skinned people with good things. Apparently what pairs first is random, so you can start the test over, and over until you get the other pairing if you like. They also say something about what effect it has on the result in the FAQ. I don't remember exactly what they said, but I think it was something about it not affecting the result much.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well, it appears that I like young people much more than old people...

I like thin people much more than fat people...

I like light skin somewhat more than dark skin...

I like straight people somewhat more than gay people...

and I'm neutral between white peeps and asians. :D

12. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I took the old/young people test, and I felt that all the effort I put into that test was not worth the one sentence telling me that I preferred young people to old people.

13. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

I have...

Little to no automatic preference between Straight People and Gay People.

little or no association between European American and Asian American with American and Foreign.

moderate automatic preference for Old compared to Young.

moderate association of European American with Harmless Objects and African American with Weapons compared to African American with Harmless Objects and European American with Weapons.

slight automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hmm...

"Your data suggests little to no automatic preference between Gay People and Straight People."

Hmm, and I seem to slightly prefer people w/ darker skin tones than lighter.

I wonder how accurate these little tests are. :p