Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I was wondering if someone could please help me. My great Maxtor (Apple why do you use these - 4 bad already - G4 and G5 combined) hard drive died on my G5 after two years. Luckily literally 30 minutes before it crapped out I backed up a copy of my itunes library.

I have at least 400 different play list. I have all the music, however when I imported the library it didn't bring the music with it. I have all my play list as I should have and i know I could drag and drop all my songs according to the play list but it will take forever. Is there no way that itunes can search for the music (which I have) and place it back in the appropriate places? or.. can I dump everything in the generic library and have it sync back to the play list some how?

Thanks in advance.

yonnage

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
When I upgraded, I dumped my whole iTunes folder in Music, then dragged all the songs into iTunes, and everything was there just like before. Playlists, playcounts, etc.

DEXTERITY said:
I was wondering if someone could please help me. My great Maxtor (Apple why do you use these - 4 bad already - G4 and G5 combined) hard drive died on my G5 after two years. Luckily literally 30 minutes before it crapped out I backed up a copy of my itunes library.

I have at least 400 different play list. I have all the music, however when I imported the library it didn't bring the music with it. I have all my play list as I should have and i know I could drag and drop all my songs according to the play list but it will take forever. Is there no way that itunes can search for the music (which I have) and place it back in the appropriate places? or.. can I dump everything in the generic library and have it sync back to the play list some how?

Thanks in advance.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
hmmm, thanks for the reply. Funny it imported all my songs and the play list. However, it didn't put the songs back in the play list. What a pain in the a.......

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
This page by Apple has a pretty good technique for getting your music onto a new machine. It uses the iPod but obviously you can adapt the method to use a network or a regular external hard drive, depending on where your backup files are. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.