Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
hmmm...there is still a download all option. However with iOS5 when songs were being downloaded to be played they'd show up in the iTunes store as being downloaded. I went in and hit download all on a playlist and they showed up in iTunes app as being downloaded but when playing individual songs this doesn't happen so maybe they are streaming

mikefj2004

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'll just be happy

when apple get's iTunes Match correct. This has totally screwed up my albums. Some album photos are missing. It takes forever for a song or album to show up on my iPhone or iPad if bought on my mac. Please, let's get it right this time.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I'm curious why the article is presenting "streaming only" as something more than "streaming plus downloading". Obviously streaming plus downloading at the same time involves doing more than just streaming. And it works better overall because you aren't limited by your wireless signal. And then if you play a song more than once, it also reduces the hit to your data cap because the song was already downloaded for you.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice if Apple is now offering the option of just "streaming only" in situations where you don't have any more space left ,but that option isn't more advanced or harder to do or anything.

In fact, iOS5 already does "streaming only" when you turn on iTunes Match on the iOS5 based Apple TV.

The whole point of "streaming plus downloading" is to give you the advantages that "streaming only" misses out on that I mentioned earlier.

dilute37

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Grass Valley, CA
Thank you...

This is great news. I've played around with it and it seems legit. I hope this hangs around for the iOS6 GM. I have all sort of issues with DL'ing from Match. I have a large library, but wouldn't say huge (+/-13,000). And getting playlists, especially large ones on my iPhone 4S is always an issue. Generally only downloading only a third of what I want and then showing a downloading error (that persists) for the rest.

As long as this sticks around, Apple will be able to pry $25 out of my hand annually for this.

gorbok

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
But it's not Spotify. You can't search for an artist you don't have and stream can you?

Spotify may be rather annoyed.

Until iTunes Match allows you to stream any music from the iTunes store regardless of whether you have previously bought it, it will remain a very different service to Spotify. The article is a bit misleading in that way. Spotify is an all-you-can-eat buffet, iTunes Match is a well-stocked fridge.

I can see the advantage for people with not enough storage on their phone though.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The coolest thing about the Music app is that when you move the phone, the reflection on the knobs changes. Very subtle, but I love little touches like that.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
There is no reason you should have any lower than an iPhone 4 once the new iPhone comes out. You will be able to sell your iPhone 4 for the cost of a new one under contract on ebay or craigslist. Stop complaining about missing features, you are not supposed to have a phone for longer than 2 years.

And what model phone do you think the person who is buying your iPhone4 ends up with aye? :rolleyes:

camsoft

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Brighton, Sussex, UK.
Don't think the article is accurate. It seems to be working the same way it has always worked. It just seems they have removed the download and cloud icons which were confusing at best.

You can swipe to delete tracks you've just played so clearly are downloaded to phone. After deleting they taking longer to start playing while they download again.

All that seems to have changed is that switching on/off iTunes Match deletes all offline locally stored music.

I have lots of music on the phone that I synced using iTunes before enabling iTunes Match. Prior to iOS6 turning on iTunes Match kept the local music, it's seems now in iOS6 it deletes it all.

Which is why the author may think its not being stored when turning off iTunes Match.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I really like iTunes Match and storing songs in the cloud, but the handling of album art drives me insane. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, and sometimes it eventually shows up 10 or 15 seconds into playing the song.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Don't think the article is accurate. It seems to be working the same way it has always worked. It just seems they have removed the download and cloud icons which were confusing at best.

You can swipe to delete tracks you've just played so clearly are downloaded to phone. After deleting they taking longer to start playing while they download again.

All that seems to have changed is that switching on/off iTunes Match deletes all offline locally stored music.

I have lots of music on the phone that I synced using iTunes before enabling iTunes Match. Prior to iOS6 turning on iTunes Match kept the local music, it's seems now in iOS6 it deletes it all.

Which is why the author may think its not being stored when turning off iTunes Match.
Could be, but there is no denying that it starts playing almost immediately. Big performance improvement on my end at least.

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
This is completely untrue. I tested this last night myself. If you turn off iTunes match all the songs you played are still there. I tested on my iPad (where I don't normally play any songs from iTunes Match) and if you look in "about" in settings it shows the number of downloaded songs on the device. Confirmed it in iTunes in the device contents drop down. I think they just removed the cloud icons to clean up the look of it (they could return). Personally I wish they would let you put a limit on the amount of space you reserve for music. Eg. 2GB, once reached it can automatically remove the least played songs.

That's how iSub does it. Personally, I'm just going to stick to iSub. I'm able to play my flac collection with no issues.

NoIdeasOriginal

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2011
Dublin, Ireland.
Great, if this feature stays in the final release of iOS 6, I will definitely be signing up for iTunes Match. I don't have any music on my iPhone because of the 16gb storage limitation. Being able to stream music from iCloud would be of great benefit. Very excited about iOS 6. :)

kimballmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
iOS 6 and iTunes Match

This sounds great.

However, my big problem is that I am still prevented from joining iTunes Match. I am a former CD music store owner, and therefore have a lot (>2,500 CDs!) of music in my library that was not purchased through iTunes. If I try and join, the iTunes Match gives me the error message that greater than 25,000 of my songs were not purchased through iTunes.

As soon as this restriction is lifted, I will be quick to join iTunes Match!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.