Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
I now have a G4 350, 40 gigs, 384mb ram. SLOW... Well I was tring to edit a movie for school about Julius Ceasar (Our theme is scooby doo and Cassius is the ghost tring to scare the scooby team away and tring to get brutus to kill Antony...) Anyways... I tried editing it in iMovie 3 and it was sooooo slow. I'm looking to get either a new 17" imac 1 gig, 1 gig of ram... Would it be any faster or slower than the 1 gig power mac tower??? With same spects?

Is there a noticeable speed difference between a single 1gig G4 and say a dual 1.25 gig???

Thanks! I'm tring to convince my dad that we need a new comp. This ones falling apart, oh crap the fan just starting smoking, better through some water on it... :p

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
The main differences between the 1Ghz iMac and the 1Ghz Powermac is the bus speed and the L3 cache.

Both of those probably won't make too much difference in regular everyday stuff, but in things like iMovie I would imagine it would.
smiley.gif

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Its noticable. The powermac has L3 and it does show itself in imovie and other area's. Plus the powermac has much more expandability options. I dont think you can go wrong either way, the new imacs are very nice machines. You'll be happy either way.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
I really like that the top of the like iMac is cheaper than the base model Tower and thats with out the screen. The extra space is mainly for more HD's and ram... Compared to my comp now a 80 gig HD 1ghz and 1 gig of ram is way more than my comp now that I have done so much.. Now it's just how much more speed do i get for my $$$. Thanks

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: In the market for new Mac...

Originally posted by coopdog
I now have a G4 350, 40 gigs, 384mb ram. SLOW... Well I was tring to edit a movie for school about Julius Ceasar (Our theme is scooby doo and Cassius is the ghost tring to scare the scooby team away and tring to get brutus to kill Antony...) Anyways... I tried editing it in iMovie 3 and it was sooooo slow. I'm looking to get either a new 17" imac 1 gig, 1 gig of ram... Would it be any faster or slower than the 1 gig power mac tower??? With same spects?
The PowerMac will definately be faster. The Ram is a bit faster since it's DDR, but the L3 cache is the big win in this situation.
Is there a noticeable speed difference between a single 1gig G4 and say a dual 1.25 gig???
Yes, there is, especially for things like Video DVD creation. When you start adding the video clips in to your iDVD project, it starts processing them in the background. Having a second processor will allow this to happen even if you're still doing stuff on the machine.

The price difference between the PwoerMac 1GHz single processor and the DP1.25 is not that much if you give them the same options otherwise. Spending the extra money now could delay having to do the next upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.