Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Yeah... No. PayPal use will never take off en masse outside of it's forced usage on eBay. Online retailers may think they're wise to accept it, but the lack of customer service, actual security, and fraud prevention will be amplified if we "left the Stone Age" and accepted an unregulated garbage company as our every day processor. How they even exist at all in the EU with their draconian over-aggressive competition guidelines is shocking.

Huh? No one mentioned PayPal.

My comment was about the use of magnetic strip credit cards in the US, while the rest of the world uses chip and pin...

In Australia (where I live) everyone uses paypass or paywave. You don't even need to enter a Pin if the purchase is under $100. Just tap the card and go.

Mobile payments will never really take off until they can be done without ever launching an app. Nothing is easier than tapping a card and leaving. No pins. No button presses. No swiping. No insertion.

Mobile payments are still less convenient than regular card payments when using paypass.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008

My comment was about the use of magnetic strip credit cards in the US, while the rest of the world uses chip and pin...

In Australia (where I live) everyone uses paypass or paywave. You don't even need to enter a Pin if the purchase is under $100. Just tap the card and go.

Mobile payments will never really take off until they can be done without ever launching an app. Nothing is easier than tapping a card and leaving. No pins. No button presses. No swiping. No insertion.

Mobile payments are still less convenient than regular card payments when using paypass.

My apologies, I misread for sure. New baby blues... (No sleep)

We've has paypass in the US active since 2005. MasterCard rushed to get it to market before competitors and it is everywhere, POS devices now accept all of them and are even Google Wallet and Isis ready... It's just that it's used very rarely. Frankly, you're more likely to see someone cut a check than use it... That's the Stone Age, swiping a card is innocent compared to that offense.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

A LOT of places here in my state, which by the way is Arizona, in the US, takes PayPass/PayWave, and I wave my card every day at the gas station to get gas, to get on the bus, and even pay my groceries.

No PINs, no Swiping, No Insertion.

Sounds like Australia to me….

With the exception that, there is no dollar limit I am aware of, as I have even paid for an iMac from Best Buy with PayPass, and it worked just fine. Don't forget Google Wallet was invented in the US, and without PayPass, there would be no Google Wallet.

The problem I see with it are a few things:
-Employees are not trained on the system. When it breaks, it isn't a priority to get it repaired, as long as the magnetic strip reader still works.
-Walmart takes Chip & PIN but no PayPass. If the world's largest retailer didn't bother with it yet, it really doesn't matter, honestly. Also add to the fact that very few people have Chip & PIN in the US, banks JUST now started issuing it, it'll be many years before more than 80% of the population have it, because most magnetic strip cards aren't due to expire until 2017, some even until 2020, and they won't order new cards unless the bank sends them one, or something like another Target breach happens.
-Target's new Verifone POS terminals take Chip & PIN, again, no PayPass.
-Home Depot takes PayPass, but its not well known, you tap your card AGAINST THE SCREEN of the Payment terminal, so most people don't know to do this.
-Having no dollar limit is kind of unsafe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.