Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breelin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Can someone tell me what's going on here?
0fc8836d428f4caa535f2a55ab64eb35.png

https://i.gyazo.com/0fc8836d428f4caa535f2a55ab64eb35.png
I tried OmniDiskSweeper and it reports about 74 gigs of total storage used up as well. This extra 31.97 gigs is quite a mystery, is it even there or is the report just inaccurate?
It's not too big a deal but I'm kind of curious. Any chance updating to Sierra would solve anything? I currently have El Capitan 10.11.6. And yes, I ran first aid through the Disk Utility.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Ehrm, stupid question. Have you emptied the Trash? Tried restarting with 'reopen Windows when logging back in' disabled/unticked?

If the above troubleshooting steps don't do the trick, you needn't worry. OmniDisk shows 74GB too. If you have local Time Machine backups or iOS backups (common causes of mysterious disk space being used), Omni would pick that up. So I'd put it down to a software glitch.

Breelin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Ehrm, stupid question. Have you emptied the Trash? Tried restarting with 'reopen Windows when logging back in' disabled/unticked?

If the above troubleshooting steps don't do the trick, you needn't worry. OmniDisk shows 74GB too. If you have local Time Machine backups or iOS backups (common causes of mysterious disk space being used), Omni would pick that up. So I'd put it down to a software glitch.

Yes the trash is emptied x3 I already have it set to not start up with previous windows open, and it's been restarted several times since I noticed this issue a few days ago (I shut it down every night). Time machine has been disabled for years. Any significant backups go to an external disk drive, and only when I choose to do so. No automated backups here!

So, I guess it's just a glitch then. Thanks ^^

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.