Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
So impressed with its speed on my separate partition I decided to install it over my Yosemite partition and see if it boosted the speed of that, it didn't it runs even worse than Yosemite.

Clean install as Primary OS now to get the full benefits of the speed increase.

If you are having speed issues on Yosemite this may not fix them if you install over the top, however if you clean install it is a lot faster than a Yosemite clean install.

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
For both OSX and iOS:

STABILITY
STABILITY and STABILITY.
Few or no Bugs
Better and intuitive UI design (yes outdated but still)
No Lags
"Smooth" "fluid" user experience. (especially on iOS side)
Rock solid 60 fps Animations.
No wi fi problems.
Way better battery life.
Better gamma settings (that doesn't kill your eyes).

I think most people don't have "old" hardware and software to compare to the new ones, so they say they are happy "because safari don't lag as much as in the previous version of yosemite"

I generally agree. I have MBP early 2008 and installed El Capitan from Snow Leopard. I think that it is great!

Last edited:

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I tested El Capitan on Mac Mini 2014 with two external hard drives (no way I am going to instal OS that is just released into my internal drive).

One was clean install of El Capitan, other was upgrade over Yosemite. Clean install does work faster but difference isn't great and it seems clean install for sake of relative minor speed improvements is too much work considering how long it takes to install all software and data I am using. All software that is installed on Yosemite is also compatible with El Capitan. I am not using software that uses extensions or could impact Macs functionality in other ways.

Compared to Yosemite clean instal was faster but not as much I was hoping considering Apples claims... Upgrade from Yosemite was about the same speed, it was hard to notice any clear improvement from Yosemite.

I am not exactly impressed because in previous upgrades on my iMac (10.8, 10.9) there wasn't as clear effect on speed. Obliviously El Capitan is just released and in time Apple might be able to improve its speed. Previously clean installs were only necessary when one had serious issues but I don't understand why latest OS X versions should be clean installed when upgrade instals works without problems?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Clean install or upgrade makes no real world difference. In both cases the exact same system files load into memory during boot. Any perceived speed difference is a placebo. The real differences are if the upgrade has certain prefs, drivers or third party apps loading at start up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.