Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
This is going to sound really strange but how do I embolden in Indesign?

It probably is really simple but I havn't found the option. It doesn't seem to be a case of Apple -B at all which is weird.

Well?

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
I have written hundreds of style sheets in Pagemaker and InDesign and have never come across the term "embolden" in any of the character or paragraph settings.
What aspect of page layout or typography are you referring to?

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
He Means "Bold"

Hi there:

Very simple:

Shift+Apple+B

You can also use the Character Palette, and select the font's "Bold" version.

Cheerios

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Phew! Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

Plus I have found at that the font I am using won't let me embolden it, while it will go bold in Appleworks. Hence the difficulties.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
CrackedButter said:
Plus I have found at that the font I am using won't let me embolden it, while it will go bold in Appleworks. Hence the difficulties.

Appleworks will prob. do what is called a 'faux-bold', i.e. a faked bold where it adds a thickness/weight to the strokes.

InDesign, being a proper DTP app, will prob. not let you select a bold unless the bold variant of the font is not present.

'Faux-bolds & italics' are notoriously unpredictable when it comes to pre-press and are generally not recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.