Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChibiOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Monterrey, Mexico
I am (finally!) editing my honeymoon video of our trip to Japan. For the transition from one city to another, I want to use some maps... Have you seen the Indiana Jones movies? When Indy travels from, say, the US to Egypt, there is a shot of a map, and a red line indicating the plane's journey from one place to another....

I was wondering, what is the best way of doing something like that? I was thinking of making a frame-by-frame animation of a Photoshop-ed image of a map, but is there some kind of software that would handle the in-between animation of the line?

Greetings!

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I think that either after effects or motion can do this. I'm not sure about motion though.

This can be done in any number of ways, even just with FCP.

The simplest and least head-ache inducing will be After effects.

Create and animate the lines using the timeline.

robemich

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
on the cheap

I plan to do this on the cheap using Google Earth and Snapz Pro to capture a 'fly to' into Quicktime. It will for sure not be a George Lucas production, but it will work with very little cost.

-mike

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
I say make a huge image of the map without the lines in photoshop, then one with the lines. Make a nest of items and lay one layer on top of the other, then make the top layer fade accordingly to reveal the other. Make sure you have a big canvas size if it is scrolling. Then in your main timeling have the nested item from left to right or whatever direction you want to keep the action in the designated part of the frame.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I say make a huge image of the map without the lines in photoshop, then one with the lines. Make a nest of items and lay one layer on top of the other, then make the top layer fade accordingly to reveal the other. Make sure you have a big canvas size if it is scrolling. Then in your main timeling have the nested item from left to right or whatever direction you want to keep the action in the designated part of the frame.

in this type of setup youd actually want to use a mask on the upper layer.

have the mask shape change over time to "reveal" the lower layer below, which contains the fully drawn travel line.

ChibiOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Monterrey, Mexico
Thanks you all for your replies... I think I should've mentioned that I only depend on iMovie and some Photoshop-ing, (no Final Cut Studio money here) but some of your budget-solutions are quite interesting.

How about... having two images of the map, one clean, the other with the complete line, then add them to the Timeline and link them with a dissolve transition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.